Send Shapefile to SQL server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• how can i send shapefile to sql server table? i have searched and find a tool ShapetoSQL but I am developing a c# windows application so want an open source solution. Thanks

Engr. Mudassar Ali Software Engineer

Monday, September 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Mudassar Alii,

According to your description, currently, there is no build-in native tools in SQL Server 2012 to import shapefiles. There is some vendor products, as your post, such as ShapetoSQL, SAFE Software's FME series . About the opening source of these third party tools, I recommend you post the issue on the related third party forum about ShapetoSQL. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

In addition, there is an article about loading ShapeFiles into SQL Server 2008 and 2012.

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/bobb/loading-shapefiles-into-sql-server-2008-and-2012/

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

From your own C# you can "send" spatial data as any other kind of data by using ADO.NET and T-SQL commands. For spatial data you can use binary format or WKT = Well Know Text.

See Working with Spatial Data (Database Engine)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Bob Beauchemin Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Mudassar Alii,

According to your description, currently, there is no build-in native tools in SQL Server 2012 to import shapefiles. There is some vendor products, as your post, such as ShapetoSQL, SAFE Software's FME series . About the opening source of these third party tools, I recommend you post the issue on the related third party forum about ShapetoSQL. It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

In addition, there is an article about loading ShapeFiles into SQL Server 2008 and 2012.

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/bobb/loading-shapefiles-into-sql-server-2008-and-2012/

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

From your own C# you can "send" spatial data as any other kind of data by using ADO.NET and T-SQL commands. For spatial data you can use binary format or WKT = Well Know Text.

See Working with Spatial Data (Database Engine)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Bob Beauchemin Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:07 PM