Sum Total Number of grouped column values RRS feed

• Question

• User82362805 posted

The below query get the booking personnel name on specified date and also total no of booking on each booking type for every booking personnel

select bp.BookingPersonnelName,b.BookingDate, b.BookingType,count(bp.bookingpersonnelID) as 'Total No Of Booking',Sum(p.Amount) as Amount from Booking b
    inner join BookingPersonnel bp
    on b.BookingPersonnelID=bp.BookingPersonnelID  
    inner join Payment p on b.BookingID=p.BookingID
    group by b.BookingType,b.BookingDate,bp.BookingPersonnelName,bp.BookingPersonnelID
    BookingPersonnelName Booking Date Booking Type Total No Of Booking Amount
    TAHA 2018-04-28  Booked 14 35000
    TAHA 2018-04-07 Booked 12 27000

As you can see above I got 2 records for one booking personnel I want one record of Taha and total no of booking should be 14+12= 26 same with amount 

How can I get this result please help

Friday, December 21, 2018 11:37 AM

Answers

• User77042963 posted

You can have one row for each date:

select bp.BookingPersonnelName,b.BookingDate, b.BookingType,
    count(bp.bookingpersonnelID) over(Partition by b.BookingType,b.BookingDate,bp.BookingPersonnelName,bp.BookingPersonnelID ) as 'Total No Of Booking'
    ,Sum(p.Amount)  over(Partition by b.BookingType,b.BookingDate,bp.BookingPersonnelName,bp.BookingPersonnelID )  as Amount from Booking b

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 2:41 PM

All replies

• User-2082239438 posted

The below query get the booking personnel name on specified date and also total no of booking on each booking type for every booking personnel

select bp.BookingPersonnelName,b.BookingDate, b.BookingType,count(bp.bookingpersonnelID) as 'Total No Of Booking',Sum(p.Amount) as Amount from Booking b
    group by b.BookingType,b.BookingDate,bp.BookingPersonnelName,bp.BookingPersonnelID
    BookingPersonnelName Booking Date Booking Type Total No Of Booking Amount
    TAHA 2018-04-28  Booked 14 35000
    TAHA 2018-04-07 Booked 12 27000

As you can see above I got 2 records for one booking personnel I want one record of Taha and total no of booking should be 14+12= 26 same with amount 

How can I get this result please help

Remove the booking date field from the select statement as well as from the group by. You will get the desired result.

You will find the group by learning details here

Friday, December 21, 2018 12:28 PM
  • User82362805 posted

yrb.Yogi but I want to show booking date column in result

Friday, December 21, 2018 12:31 PM
  • User-2082239438 posted

yrb.Yogi but I want to show booking date column in result

You will check that there are two different date in the booking date field. During the group by fields, if field contain the different value it will give you different result.

Instead of booking date field, use the aggregate function on the booking field (i.e. MIN/MAX) & remove the booking date field from the group by. You will get the single result.

Friday, December 21, 2018 12:57 PM
  • User77042963 posted

You can have one row for each date:

select bp.BookingPersonnelName,b.BookingDate, b.BookingType,
    count(bp.bookingpersonnelID) over(Partition by b.BookingType,b.BookingDate,bp.BookingPersonnelName,bp.BookingPersonnelID ) as 'Total No Of Booking'
    ,Sum(p.Amount)  over(Partition by b.BookingType,b.BookingDate,bp.BookingPersonnelName,bp.BookingPersonnelID )  as Amount from Booking b

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 2:41 PM
  • User-893317190 posted

Hi AfaqRajput,

If you want to preserve booking date and still have the  total no of booking and amount, you could  also use subquery.

Below is my sql.

with temp as (  -- store the resultset of your first query into temp

select bp.BookingPersonnelID, bp.BookingPersonnelName,b.BookingDate, b.BookingType,count(bp.bookingpersonnelID) as 'Total No Of Booking',Sum(p.Amount) as Amount from Booking b

) 
    select  bookingpersonnelName,BookingDate,BookingType,
     (select sum([Total No Of Booking]) from temp t where t.BookingPersonnelId=temp.BookingPersonnelId) as 'Total No Of Booking' , --sum Total booking of personnel using sub query
    (select sum(Amount) from temp t  where t.BookingPersonnelId=temp.BookingPersonnelId) -- sum amount of personnel  using subquery
     as Amount from temp 

Here, to make it clear , I use cte , you could refer to  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/queries/with-common-table-expression-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017 to learn about cte, it could preserve the result of one query and use the result in the following query.

The result of the query in cte.

select bp.BookingPersonnelID, bp.BookingPersonnelName,b.BookingDate, b.BookingType,count(bp.bookingpersonnelID) as 'Total No Of Booking',Sum(p.Amount) as Amount from Booking b

1	TAHA	2018-04-07 00:00:00.000	booked	1	27000
    1	TAHA	2018-04-28 00:00:00.000	booked	1	35000

The result of the total query.

TAHA	2018-04-07 00:00:00.000	booked	2	62000
    TAHA	2018-04-28 00:00:00.000	booked	2	62000

Best regards,

Ackerly Xu

Monday, December 24, 2018 4:15 AM