none
VS 2013 Professional - Web Dev Server (IIS Express) is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My employer has issued me with a fresh Windows 7 desktop and I have got VS 2013 Professional with Update 1 insalled. I created a ASP.NET Web Application project and added a very simple HTML file which is configuerd as the startup file.

Problem:

I notice that most of the times when I press CTRL+F5 the browser takes upto 15-20 seconds to render the web page. I have Browser Link feature disabled. Intellitrace is out of question because of the edition of VS.

Closing and opening VS.NET does seem to improve but only temporarily. Even if the perofrmance is satisfactory initially subsequent F5 press on the browser takes a while. 

Steps already taken:

• Turned off UAC
    • Run as Administrator
    • Proxy settings - by pass proxy server for local addresses and for intranet.
    • I have seen a similar post on this forum but that did not help me. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/295bbb8f-98d9-434f-bd01-dd605f806454/visual-studio-2013-starting-up-debug-very-slow?forum=visualstudiogeneral)

Any ideas?

I am not clear if this is an IIS Express issue. 

Many thanks,

Saurabh

• Edited by SDGNOM Friday, February 14, 2014 2:04 PM typo
    Friday, February 14, 2014 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

Firstly many thanks for looking into this. I found this error in the good old event log "

Unable to create the log file for site W3SVC0. Make sure that the logging directory for the site is correct and this computer has write access to that directory"

Therefore, I disabled logging and also compression

appcmd set config /section:urlCompression /doStaticCompression:True

appcmd set config /section:urlCompression /doDynamicCompression:False

appcmd set config /section:httpLogging /dontLog:True

After doing this, and then re-starting VS.NET , I find debugging to be far more responsive - as much as it would have been with the older Web Dev Server.

I am not sure what could be going on. But, I must say that my employer (an investment bank) is known to have desktop builds which are highly locked down. I cannot so for sure - but yes, I would definitely not suspect VS.NET. I am more inclined to suspect my environment.

Regards,

Saurabh

• Marked as answer by SDGNOM Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:11 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:56 PM

All replies

• Further to what I have stated above,

it has been by observation that the status bar of the IE browser shows "Waiting for response from localhost.." . Would this mean that something is holding up IIS Express? 

DNS resolution of localhost when tested through a simple "ping localhost" command appears to be instantenous - just to rule out other ad hoc issues as much as possible.

Friday, February 14, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Hi SDGNOM,

If you run the same app in other machine, whether it has the same issue? If it works well in other machine, we would make sure that it would be the Environment issue.

1. Please reset your VS and IE settings.
    2. Please close the firewall, maybe it blocked ports like this thread "Waiting for response from localhost..." forever.
    3. Like this thread in IIS forum, please run your windows update, and then restart your machine, check it again.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 17, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Firstly many thanks for looking into this. I found this error in the good old event log "

Unable to create the log file for site W3SVC0. Make sure that the logging directory for the site is correct and this computer has write access to that directory"

Therefore, I disabled logging and also compression

appcmd set config /section:urlCompression /doStaticCompression:True

appcmd set config /section:urlCompression /doDynamicCompression:False

appcmd set config /section:httpLogging /dontLog:True

After doing this, and then re-starting VS.NET , I find debugging to be far more responsive - as much as it would have been with the older Web Dev Server.

I am not sure what could be going on. But, I must say that my employer (an investment bank) is known to have desktop builds which are highly locked down. I cannot so for sure - but yes, I would definitely not suspect VS.NET. I am more inclined to suspect my environment.

Regards,

Saurabh

• Marked as answer by SDGNOM Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:11 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Hi SDGNOM,

Thanks for your response.

If we could make sure that it is not the VS IDE issue, I’m afraid that I have no the real solution for this issue. You know that this forum is to discuss the VS IDE issue.

If possible, you could run your machine in safe mode, check it again. If it worked well in other machine, maybe you could compare your Environment with other Environments which don’t have this issue.

I get the same error message in the IIS forum, not very sure that whether it is related to IIS, but if possible, you could check them here:

http://forums.iis.net/t/1033197.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/23ec8be2-649a-47b7-8d75-ffd937f16fe8.mspx?mfr=true

Since a simple web app still has this issue, my suggestion is that you could re-pair your VS, check it again. So we could make sure that whether it is not the VS IDE issue.

Since it is related to the IIS/web app, maybe you could post this issue to the IIS forum or the ASP.NET forum.

If still no help, to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, you could create connect report for it, you will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:30 AM