Updating to TFS 2012 Express from RC RRS feed

• Question

• I did a clean install of Windows 8 and installed TFS 2012 Express.  I was previously using the RC for each.  Prior to the installations I did a backup of my TFS collections so I have Tfs_Configuration.bak and Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak.  How do I now restore the DefaultCollection to the new version of TFS?

I generated the files using the following commands:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\sqlcmd.exe" -S localhost\sqlexpress -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [Tfs_Configuration] TO  DISK = N'c:\backups\Tfs_Configuration.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10"

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\sqlcmd.exe" -S localhost\sqlexpress -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [Tfs_DefaultCollection] TO  DISK = N'c:\backups\Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10"

Thanks

• Edited by jfras2009 Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:28 PM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:47 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Sorry for the delayed response!

After you installed the SQL Server, open the SQL Server Management Studio, click Databases->Restore Database, in the Restore Database, under the Source for restore, select From device, and click the right button, Open Specify Backup dialog, select File for the Backup media, click Add and select the Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by jfras2009 Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi jfras2009,

Thanks for your post!

After you restored the DefaultCollection to the new version of TFS, can you connect to the TFS Express and create a team project successfully? If yes, the collection is restored successfully, otherwise, you need to backup the database and restore it again.

I haven't tested to backup database from sqlcmd.exe command, I just to use the method in the following link:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936138.aspx

For more information, please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsadmin/thread/c4cfda54-1ed6-470c-b76a-ed34d87373fb

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:29 AM
  • What would be the equivalent sqlcmd to restore the backup.  Do I stop the current sql data and then do the restore and then restart the server?  Do I need to do anything in TFS Express?

I am using TFS 2012 Express and sql server express.

John

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your post!

Please perform the following steps:

1. Back up the databases and snapshot the servers
    2. Uninstall TFS 2012 Express RC
    3. Install TFS 2012 Express RTM
    4. Configure TFS 2012 Express RTM

For more information, please refer to http://blog.damianbrady.com.au/2012/08/11/upgrading-from-tfs-2012-rc-to-tfs-2012-rtm-done/

In addition, Backups made easy with "Team Foundation Backups" feature. It essentially creates a seamless process for backup/restore of the TFS databases from Team Foundation Server Administration Console.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Maybe I did not explain the problem correctly.

1. I was using windows 8 RC

2. I was using TFS 2012 RC

3. I did a backup of my TFS Project using the following sqlcmd.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\sqlcmd.exe" -S localhost\sqlexpress -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [Tfs_Configuration] TO  DISK = N'c:\backups\Tfs_Configuration.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10"

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\sqlcmd.exe" -S localhost\sqlexpress -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [Tfs_DefaultCollection] TO  DISK = N'c:\backups\Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10"

4. I installed the official release of Windows 8

5 I installed the official release of TFS 2012 Express.

Now I want to restore the backup TFS collection. How do I do this? I used the sqlcmd backup to generate the backup because TFS2012 RC did not support the power tools and therefore there was no backup and restore under TFS. Any information that you can supply to restore the Tfs_DefaulCollection.bak would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice in using sql server and was just learning TFS.

Thanks for you help

John

• Edited by jfras2009 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:18 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback!

I am currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your post!

Have you performed the update from TFS 2012 Express RC to TFS 2012 RTM?

Have you ever enter some error information there?

For more information, please refer to http://elhajj.wordpress.com/tfs-application-tier-will-use-the-same-hardware-its-using-right-now-rtm/

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:03 AM
  • I did not do the update from TFS 2012 Express RC to TFS 2012 RTM because I needed to install Windows 8 RTM from Windows 8 RC.  The windows install needed to do a clean install.  That is why I did a sqlcmd backup of my Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak.

How do I restore my Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak?  What is the sqlcmd and what is the sequence of commands both for SQL Server Express and TFS 2012 Express?

John

Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Hi John,

Sorry for the delayed response!

After you installed the SQL Server, open the SQL Server Management Studio, click Databases->Restore Database, in the Restore Database, under the Source for restore, select From device, and click the right button, Open Specify Backup dialog, select File for the Backup media, click Add and select the Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by jfras2009 Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Cathy,

I did the restore using SQL Server Management Tools. But when I try to connect to TFS I get the following error:

TF31001: Cannot connect to Team Foundation Server at DefaultCollection. The server returned the following error: TF400686: The requested schema property TFS_SCHEMA_VERSION did not match the expected value.  The server requires the Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2012 RTM schema but the database currently implements Microsoft Team Foundation Server Dev 11 Beta 1.

John

• Edited by jfras2009 Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:08 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Cathy,

I fixed my problem.  I restored both my Tfs_Configuration.bak and Tfs_DefaultCollection.bak using the SQL Server Management Tools.  I then reset the TFS configuration using "tfsconfig /uninstall:all" and I relaunched the TFS configuration wizard and did a upgrade.

Thanks for your help

John

Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:07 PM