Assembly Names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Greg,

I added a registry setting so that the configuration dll's would show up in visual studio in the .NET tab of the Add Reference dialog in order to simplify things for the way our team works with configuration based services.  I found, however, that evidently dialogs use the Assembly Title instead of the Assembly Name, so it became hard to find things.  I also ran into a few other naming issues, but nothing worth going into.  So, I went through each project and found the discrpancies, so that maybe you could update them in a future version.

Obviously not a huge deal, but would make a few things easier later.  I highlighted differences in red.

Thanks,
    Darren

1 Cache ConfigService.Cache ConfigService.Cache
    2 CacheDataContract ConfigService.CacheDataContract ConfigService.CacheDataContract
    3 CustomValidators ConfigService.CustomValidators ConfigService.CustomValidators
    4 IConfigurationActions ConfigService.IConfigActions ConfigService.IConfigActions
    5 LoadBalancingClient ConfigService.LoadBalancingClient ConfigService.LoadBalancingClient
    6 NodeBroadcastClient ConfigService.NodeBroadcastClient ConfigService.NodeBroadcastClient
    7 RepositoryCreate ConfigService.RepositoryCreate ConfigService.RepositoryCreate
    8 RuntimeHostData ConfigService.RuntimeHostData ConfigService.RuntimeHostData
    9 ServiceConfigurationBase ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationBase ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationBase
    10 ServiceConfigurationClient ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationRemote ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationRemote
    11 ServiceConfigurationContract ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationContract ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationContract
    12 ServiceConfigurationDALFactory ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.DALFactory ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.DALFactory
    13 ServiceConfigurationDALSQLServer ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.DALSQLServer ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.DALSQLServer
    14 ServiceConfigurationDataContract ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.DataContract ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.DataContract
    15 ServiceConfigurationHelper ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationHelper ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration
    16 ServiceConfigurationIDAL ConfigService.ServiceConfiguration.IDAL ConfigService.ConfigurationIDAL
    17 ServiceConfigurationUtility ConfigService.ServiceConfigurationUtility ConfigService.ConfigurationUtility
    18 ServiceHostConsoleBase ConfigService.ServiceHostConsoleBase1 ConfigService.ServiceHostConsoleBase
    19 ServiceHostShellConsoleBase ConfigService.ServiceHostShellConsoleBase ConfigService.ServiceHostShellConsoleBase
    20 ServiceNodeCommunicationContract ConfigService.ServiceNodeCommunicationContract ConfigService.ServiceNodeCommunicationContract
    21 ServiceNodeCommunicationDataContract ConfigService.ServiceNodeCommunication.DataContract ConfigService.ServiceCommunicationDataContract
    22 ServiceNodeCommunicationImplementation ConfigService.ServiceNodeCommunicationImplementation ConfigService.ServiceNodeCommunicationImplementation
    23 SQLHelper ConfigService.DALSQLHelper ConfigService.SQLHelper
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hey Darren,

I think I can do as long as changes only to title and will not break existing apps.  Be careful about ConfigService.ServiceHostConsoleBase1;  this assembly is merged (using ILMerge) with another assembly post build; its the final product of the merge that results in the assembly named ConfigService.ServiceHostConsoleBase.

At any rate, I will look at as part of my update for Win7....

-Greg
    Greg Leake, Microsoft
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hey Darren,

I think I can do as long as changes only to title and will not break existing apps.  Be careful about ConfigService.ServiceHostConsoleBase1;  this assembly is merged (using ILMerge) with another assembly post build; its the final product of the merge that results in the assembly named ConfigService.ServiceHostConsoleBase.

At any rate, I will look at as part of my update for Win7....

-Greg
    Greg Leake, Microsoft
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Excellent, thanks Greg!
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:02 PM