Vista Compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for any hints on when a Vista version will be released.

(Note that I'm in the middle of installing the same version as everyone else is right now, but the web site says it won't be out for a bit).

I really don't want to put a third OS on my system just so I can run xna express. (I've already got Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 bit on here - starting to get crowded)

Dan

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 9:38 PM

Answers

• The compatibility issues are due to VS compatibility so if you get VS SP1 and the VS Vista patch (in beta) then a lot of us are sucessfully running on Vista.

The only problem I am seeing is the the VS Version selector app (which is what is run when you open a .sln file) doesn't work at all and I am having to open VS and then use file/open to open my solution.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:18 PM
  • I got it working on Vista in a matter of minutes following these instructions...

http://www.nuclex.org/articles/xna-game-studio-express-1-0-on-vista

Other than the issue entioned above, it's working fine. haven't tried running a game on the 360 yet, but I doubt there will be any issues.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 8:09 AM

All replies

•  Dan Lingman wrote:
    Looking for any hints on when a Vista version will be released.

You're not going to find any.

Dan Lingman wrote:
    (Note that I'm in the middle of installing the same version as everyone else is right now, but the web site says it won't be out for a bit).

I really don't want to put a third OS on my system just so I can run xna express. (I've already got Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 bit on here - starting to get crowded)

Some people have had luck getting GSE to run under Vista. Have you tried installing it?

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Yup.  It made it to a certain point, then failed, and rolled back.  Nice to see something do the right thing if it can't install fully.

I'll probably purge off vista 32 bit, and put an xp pro partition back on.  That leaves me 64 bit vista for spiffy stuff, and 32 bit xp pro for game development.

Sigh.  Another os install. 

Dan.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:12 PM
  • The compatibility issues are due to VS compatibility so if you get VS SP1 and the VS Vista patch (in beta) then a lot of us are sucessfully running on Vista.

The only problem I am seeing is the the VS Version selector app (which is what is run when you open a .sln file) doesn't work at all and I am having to open VS and then use file/open to open my solution.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Yep I see the same thing, the correct icon shows up in Explorer for the project but if you try to double click on it, it doesn't launch C# Express. If you run C# Express then open the solution it's fine. I did spend a day or so getting the service pack and patch in place when migrating to Vista.
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 4:06 AM
  • I got it working on Vista in a matter of minutes following these instructions...

http://www.nuclex.org/articles/xna-game-studio-express-1-0-on-vista

Other than the issue entioned above, it's working fine. haven't tried running a game on the 360 yet, but I doubt there will be any issues.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 8:09 AM
  • Agreed, I installed it on Vista just the other day. As long as you install everything from an elevated rights command line, and in the right order, you should be ok.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:45 AM
  • Sounds good.  Will try this set of instructions when I get home.  Maybe I forgot to ask, but are you doing this under Vista 32 bit or 64 bit? (I'm running 64 bit)

At worst, I'll work in virtual PC.  Slightly better than paving my machine and installing xp from scratch, then vista to a different drive.

Cheers, and thanks for posting that link.

Dan

Thursday, February 8, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Are you sure a virtual machine will give you the the graphics hardware support you will need?

I'm running XNA on 32bit vista, pretty much following the same instructions that others have posted on this thread.  Not to sure how it will run on 64 bit.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Ely is correct - you won't be able to run XNA apps on the PC under virtual PC. XNA requires a SM2.0 card and VPC doesn't emulate any accelerated hardware. You used to be able to run DirectX apps using the ref rast but I don't think that is availale under XNA.

Of course you can always deply to the 360 and test there from VPC.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Has anyone gotten XNA in Vista to deploy to the Xbox 360 and run?
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Yes working just fine for me.
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Well, major thanks to the people on this forum.  I've now got game studio running under Vista Ultimate 64 bit.  Time to get to work on my game, although I'll really be spending the next week or two doing design, and just futzing with xna to test some ideas out for now.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Dan Lingman

NoGotoGames.com

Friday, February 9, 2007 2:20 AM
  • Cool, good to hear it works on x64 as well.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 2:27 AM
  • One issue I have had on Vista is that you need to run the XACT tool as administrator or it will crash as soon as you start it. This is a known issue (even in the December 2006 DirectX SDK) but it works fine as administrator.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 2:57 AM
  • I installed Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Installed Visual C# Express.

Installed SP1 for VSE

Installed XNA Game Studio Express.

It works. I can create new apps. I can compile my apps. However, since the Solution Explorer is completely empty, I can neither add nor delete anything (modules, resources, etc.) from the project. That is to say, it's utterly useless.

Oh and Visual Studio crashes constantly. Usually in response to closing/docking/undocking various panes (like trying to close/open the solution explorer and maybe jump-start it). This never happened when I was using VSE (no SP) on XP Pro.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:02 PM
  • Is your Vista up to date? Did you follow the instructions I posted a link to on the previous page exactly? You also need the Visual Studio service pack in addition to the VSE service pack.

I am using 32 bit Vista and it's running pretty perfectly for me.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:51 PM
  •  Tergiver wrote:

I installed Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Installed Visual C# Express.

Installed SP1 for VSE

Installed XNA Game Studio Express.

There are *2* service packs to install if you follow the instructions. SP1 for VS and another one to make things work under Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=fb6bb56a-10b7-4c05-b81c-5863284503cf

Sunday, February 11, 2007 12:34 AM
  • Ok. I just finished this:

Uninstalled (in order):

XNA Game Studio Express

Visual C# Express

Installed (in order):

Visual C# Express

VSE SP1 (VS80sp1-KB926749-X86-INTL.exe)

VS SP1 (VS80sp1-KB929470-X86-Beta-ENU.exe)

XNA Game Studio Express

I followed the directions to the letter.

I still have an empty Solution Explorer for XNA projects. All non-XNA projects are fine.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 12:41 AM
  • One last thing I can think of to try - The 4 things you've done already, you've run all of them as administrator?

(to install the xna msi file, open a command prompt as admin)

I did that myself, and got everything installed.

When you run the actual XNA game studio, you need to run it as admin as well - not by setting it in the properties for the shortcut, but literally by right clicking on the menu entry, and selecting the second item - run as administrator.

Good luck.

Dan.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 3:13 AM
  •  Dan Lingman wrote:

One last thing I can think of to try - The 4 things you've done already, you've run all of them as administrator?

(to install the xna msi file, open a command prompt as admin)

I did that myself, and got everything installed.

When you run the actual XNA game studio, you need to run it as admin as well - not by setting it in the properties for the shortcut, but literally by right clicking on the menu entry, and selecting the second item - run as administrator.

Good luck.

Dan.

Yes, I followed the directions to the letter. I ran everything as administrator (by right-clicking). This is a very clean install of Vista (OEM on new HDs). I've installed very few apps. Office 2007 Pro and 2 games are the only things other then drivers (sound and video).

Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:45 AM
  • You can use XNA under Vista (even 64-bit) if you just follow the following rules:
    • If you use a 64-bit copy of Windows, you'll need to edit your project files manually to force the project to execute in 32-bit mode.  (Example)
    • When installing the XNA SDK, you'll have to run it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.
    That's pretty much it.  One kink that I see a lot of people running into, however, is getting XNA apps to run properly on non-development machines.  Despite the fact that people have the lastest DirectX installed, the latest video card drivers, .NET Framework 2.0+ installed, and have installed the XNA Framework, applications will frequently fail when initializing the graphics.  You can include a bunch of .dlls with the application to get it to run, but that's not a workable distribution solution as it would violate the license agreements for those files.
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 6:39 PM
  •  Tbird761 wrote:
    You can use XNA under Vista (even 64-bit) if you just follow the following rules:
    • If you use a 64-bit copy of Windows, you'll need to edit your project files manually to force the project to execute in 32-bit mode.  (Example)
    • When installing the XNA SDK, you'll have to run it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

That's pretty much it.  One kink that I see a lot of people running into, however, is getting XNA apps to run properly on non-development machines.  Despite the fact that people have the lastest DirectX installed, the latest video card drivers, .NET Framework 2.0+ installed, and have installed the XNA Framework, applications will frequently fail when initializing the graphics.  You can include a bunch of .dlls with the application to get it to run, but that's not a workable distribution solution as it would violate the license agreements for those files.

That's interesting, since I didn't need to do either of those things, and I'm running just fine under 64 bit ultimate.

I've not tried to build and distribute an executable though - just running stuff inside of the game studio works just fine.

Dan.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  Dan Lingman wrote:

That's interesting, since I didn't need to do either of those things, and I'm running just fine under 64 bit ultimate.

Tbird761 is confusing the issue by using a VB project to develop with the XNA Framework (as seen in his example). If you create your own project template, then you are also responsible for setting the project properties correctly. If you use the templates installed with XNA Game Studio Express, they will build games that work on 64-bit machines without any manual editing.

--Stephen

Monday, February 12, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Tergiver:

For the problem you are describing with the Solution Explorer being empty, please have a look at this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1213807&SiteID=1

--Stephen

Monday, February 12, 2007 12:31 AM
  •  Stephen Styrchak - MSFT wrote:
     Dan Lingman wrote:

Tbird761 is confusing the issue by using a VB project to develop with the XNA Framework (as seen in his example). If you create your own project template, then you are also responsible for setting the project properties correctly. If you use the templates installed with XNA Game Studio Express, they will build games that work on 64-bit machines without any manual editing.

--Stephen

I don't believe so:  http://exdream.no-ip.info/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=8962e9a7-3185-438d-882a-e8e919771dc2

I found this guide for setting up C# projects to work properly.  I just prefer VB, so that's why my example reflects that.  The default C# start-up projects do not run properly either, however.  You either have to edit the .csproj file manually (as shown in that link) or install third-party updated project templates that do what I showed for you each time you make a new project.

It's not just a VB thing or me, either.  There are quite a few places that talk about this.  Here is another (near the top):  http://www.thehazymind.com/archives/2006/08/introduction_to.htm

This problem is applicable to both Windows XP x64 Edition and the x64 versions of Windows Vista.

Monday, February 12, 2007 5:33 PM
  • That solved it. Thank you!
    Monday, February 12, 2007 6:29 PM
  •  Tbird761 wrote:
    Stephen Styrchak - MSFT wrote:
    Dan Lingman wrote:

That 's interesting, since I didn't need to do either of those things, and I'm running just fine under 64 bit ultimate.

--Stephen

I don't believe so: http://exdream.no-ip.info/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=8962e9a7-3185-438d-882a-e8e919771dc2

It looks to me like that link is talking about an old beta version of the framework. It's probably not a great idea to continue using modified versions of the beta project templates, because then you won't be picking up any of the improvements we made between beta and the final release.

As Stephen says, the default templates installed with the final product do produce executables that work on 64 bit machines.

Monday, February 12, 2007 6:46 PM
  •  Shawn Hargreaves - MSFT wrote:
    Tbird761 wrote:
    Stephen Styrchak - MSFT wrote:
    Dan Lingman wrote:

That 's interesting, since I didn't need to do either of those things, and I'm running just fine under 64 bit ultimate.

--Stephen

I don't believe so: http://exdream.no-ip.info/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=8962e9a7-3185-438d-882a-e8e919771dc2

It looks to me like that link is talking about an old beta version of the framework. It's probably not a great idea to continue using modified versions of the beta project templates, because then you won't be picking up any of the improvements we made between beta and the final release.

As Stephen says, the default templates installed with the final product do produce executables that work on 64 bit machines.

That's good news.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 10:35 PM