none
SQL Server Developer Edition

Question

• Hi Experts,

What I understand is that SQL Server developer edition 2014 and 2016 is free of cost from 1st April 2016. In this case if I do a side by side upgrade of an existing environment or build a new environment for Developer 2014 and 2016, I will not be requiring a license for it.

Thanks

Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Correct, so long as not used for production.   read the fine print on what defines production of course.

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

Kevin3NF on Twitter
    DallasDBAs

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:31 AM
  • Thanks , Just a query. I would assume that this would be applicable for SPLA licensing and there would not be any changes for it.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:48 AM
  • I always defer licensing questions to MSFT, as they are complex, possibly specific to your company, and frequently changing :)

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

Kevin3NF on Twitter
    DallasDBAs

Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:06 PM
  • >I would assume that this would be applicable for SPLA

Can you elaborate?  Customers who use SPLA licensing for production can certainly use Developer Edition for Dev/Test, if that's what you mean.

David

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas

My Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Thanks David, thats what I meant.
    • Marked as answer by VG2014 Monday, January 2, 2017 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:50 PM