none
.Net Profiler - Overhead due to helper functions injection RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed my dot net instrumentation profiler in NopCommerce sample ecommerce MVC application. 

Without my profiler the % CPU of the w3wp.exe is ~51% and when my profiler gets attached the CPU becomes ~62%. I was guessing it due to the lines where i process (to get function's execution time ,function execution flow etc..). 

But even if i comment all the codes in the helper assembly functions(C# function definitions that i inject from profiler) the % CPU is ~61%. (i.e) the injected functions will just return without doing any kinda processing.

From these values i am sure that just calling the helper functions that my profiler injects (which resides in the GAC) only eats up most of CPU. 

Why this happens.? Is that normal one? Or  Any ideas to decrease the CPU eat up that caused due to instrumentaion.? 

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Selva VS,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, we could not make sure that what cause the CPU from 51% to 61%. You could use Diagnostic Tools window to know where raise the CPU.

Please check the following link. It shows the steps to look at your CPU and memory consumption.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/02/15/analyze-cpu-memory-while-debugging/

Then you could know where raise the CPU.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Hi Selva VS,

Have you solved your problem?

If you solved your problem, please mark the useful reply as answer. This will make answer searching in the forum and be beneficial to community members as well.

If you have something else about this issue, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:19 PM