none
Visual Studio Server Explorer Error version 782 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Visual Studio 2013 with SQL Server 2014.  I am an amateur who is trying to improve his skills.  I am working through the Venkat training courses on Youtube and cannot complete the LINQ course part 1 exercise.  I am trying to select a single table database with server explorer and get the message:  

The database C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SAMPLE.MDF cannot be opened because it is version 782.  This server supports version 706 or earlier. etc...

I got this message after several attempts to access the database changing various permissions.  Does this message mean my investment in SQL Server 2014 is wasted and I should I buy and install 2012?

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hello jjbwoollyback,

>>The database C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SAMPLE.MDF cannot be opened because it is version 782.  This server supports version 706 or earlier. etc...

As far as I know, Version 782 is a database file from Sql Server 2014, Version 706 is a database file from Sql Server 2012, it seems that you are trying to a db from a newer version of database file(SQL Server 2014) to an older version(SQL Serevr 2012 Express). To my knowledge, SQL Server 2012 LocalDB won’t be able to use those databases already upgraded to SQL Server 2014 LocalDB anymore.

According to this feedback, the team should have release a update for the VS 2013 to support SQL Server 2014 RTM, however, I am not sure where we could obtain it, you could ask it to the VS forum.

If you do not find the update currently, the possible solution is trying to script those upgraded databases using SQL Server Management Studio 2014, and then running the scripts on SQL Server 2012 localDB to recreate your databases including the data.

Regards,

Fred.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 31, 2014 2:02 AM