none
Does Kinect have microphone calibration? RRS feed

• Question

• Dearest.

I'd like to obtain raw data of 4 microphones. So, I tried this using AudioCaptureRaw C# source.

It was so easy, but an obtained waveform among 4 had smaller gain than the others.

Does Kinect have a microphone calibration function?

If Kinect is connected with XBOX, I can use a calibration function.

However, I think I cannot access any calibration function when using PC and Kinect.

I wanna control each microphone gain.

Please help.

Thanks.

Monday, August 8, 2011 2:00 AM

Answers

• Jake Jeong,

The Kinect SDK Beta API doesn't provide a method to do microphone calibration in the way you request, but just to be clear about what you need, so we can try to address problem in the future, when you go to Sound Settings in control panel, to "Recording" tab, you should be able to see "Microphone Array|Kinect USB Device". If you click on this item and select "Properties", then you're taken to a dialog with tabs that say: "General", "Listen", "Levels" and "Advanced".

Under "Levels" tab there is only one single level for entire microphone array. Would your problem be solved if there were also individual level settings for each microphone in array?

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:43 PM

All replies

• Jake Jeong,

The Kinect SDK Beta API doesn't provide a method to do microphone calibration in the way you request, but just to be clear about what you need, so we can try to address problem in the future, when you go to Sound Settings in control panel, to "Recording" tab, you should be able to see "Microphone Array|Kinect USB Device". If you click on this item and select "Properties", then you're taken to a dialog with tabs that say: "General", "Listen", "Levels" and "Advanced".

Under "Levels" tab there is only one single level for entire microphone array. Would your problem be solved if there were also individual level settings for each microphone in array?

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:43 PM
  • He never answered, but I will: your idea is a good one. Kinect is a very advanced audio capture device, and having this kind of fine grained control is always a good thing. GUI and API access is always beneficial. 
    Monday, August 29, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I've made note of it.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:05 PM