none
Replace Resource using PSI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to replace resource using PSI with other resources. How can i?? Please help...

Hammad Umar

Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:51 PM

Answers

• After a long research i got to know the PSI dont support this... see below detail...

Resources

• Requesting or performing resource leveling.

• Changing the resource on an assignment. However, you can use the PSI to delete the assignment and create a new one.

• Deleting or replacing a resource that has actual work accepted (actuals).

• Changing a resource type between Work, Material, and Cost.

• Creating or editing resource calendars.

• When adding a resource to a task, the PSI does not automatically redistribute work the way Project Professional does. It is up to the developer to choose and explicitly set the work distribution on the assignments.

For more detail please see this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767706.aspx

Hammad Umar

• Proposed as answer by Kashif Nizam Monday, March 5, 2012 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hammad Umar Monday, March 5, 2012 11:27 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 10:36 AM

All replies

• After a long research i got to know the PSI dont support this... see below detail...

Resources

• Requesting or performing resource leveling.

• Changing the resource on an assignment. However, you can use the PSI to delete the assignment and create a new one.

• Deleting or replacing a resource that has actual work accepted (actuals).

• Changing a resource type between Work, Material, and Cost.

• Creating or editing resource calendars.

• When adding a resource to a task, the PSI does not automatically redistribute work the way Project Professional does. It is up to the developer to choose and explicitly set the work distribution on the assignments.

For more detail please see this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767706.aspx

Hammad Umar

• Proposed as answer by Kashif Nizam Monday, March 5, 2012 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hammad Umar Monday, March 5, 2012 11:27 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Yes Hammad, there're limitation with PSI and you ended up at the right msdn page :)

Thanks, Kashif

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Hammand,

Out of these 6 Resource Section limitations, we can achieve few in another way.

• Requesting or performing resource leveling. - Cant be done in any another way to my knowledge

• Changing the resource on an assignment. However, you can use the PSI to delete the assignment and create a new one. - Yes. We cant say this is the restriction as such and as we know, an assignment itself speaks about a unique task assigned to unique resource. So if we need to change the resource, then that will be any way an another assignment only.

• Deleting or replacing a resource that has actual work accepted (actuals). - Again, it can't be a limitation from PSI, as replacing a resource to an assignment anyway may not be so meaningful (as explained above).

• Changing a resource type between Work, Material, and Cost. - Cant be done in any another way to my knowledge

• Creating or editing resource calendars. - It can be done and we already have a C sharp console application, which will open the MPP and open the resource and add/remove the resource leave entries (If the resource leave entries are captured some where in the database and those are already available for the leave integration)

• When adding a resource to a task, the PSI does not automatically redistribute work the way Project Professional does. It is up to the developer to choose and explicitly set the work distribution on the assignments. - Yes. This may be the limitation, as most of the MPP engine functionality can be incorporated in the PSI, so that developers can easily take care of them with custom coding as per their requirement.

Note: In above explanation, most of the cases, resource may NOT be the correct word to mention, but it should be user (as who log in to PWA and do such operation on his own)

B Rajasekhar Reddy

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

As per msdn documentation, I can see 'ProjectResourcesReplace' is a part of voidQueueUpdateProjectTeam Function.

This function can be used to update project build team. But I am unable to understand how it can be used to replace resources in build team?

Can anyone please help here? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anuja

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:01 PM