none
Winforms App in VS2015 Using SQL Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I've opened this app in VS2015 on my computer many times but the other day I went to make a change to one of my datasets and got the following error "An unexpected  error occurred in the .Net Framework Data provider for SQL Anywhere 16.  I don't even have SQL Anywhere installed on my PC.  I get the same error when I try to connect to a database, but I can preview data in any of my datasets and connect to my server without issue.  Has anyone ever had this happen?

I am at a loss as to what has changed as this was working as of a few weeks ago.

Thanks in Advance!

Monday, April 15, 2019 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Sounds like this is not a Visual Studio issue but something outside of Visual Studio interfering e.g. a new program installed, a Windows update stomped over DLL's Visual Studio is dependent on. I can move your question to a Visual Studio forum as my thought is there may be expertise that can help in that forum. Let me know if you would care for me to move this question to the Visual Studio forum.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Monday, April 15, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Sure that would be fine.  I tried reinstalling Visual Studio but it does the same thing. I had loaded Crystal Report 16 but uninstalled that and didn't solve the problem.  There must be some way to troubleshoot in Visual Studio but I'm not sure how to figure out what is going on.

Thank you.

Monday, April 15, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Hi tnswalker,

To provide you with more professional advice, I will move this thread to the forum: Visual Studio Development.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hi tnswalker,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Please try to create a new Windows Forms application and connect the database to check if this issue persists or not? It will help us to confirm this issue is only to this specific project or all projects.

According to the error message, please have a look at this similar issue. However, please note that edit registry is not recommended and if you want to have a try, we need to back up the registry table first.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:55 AM
  • I get the error even when I don't have a project open and I try to connect to a database. 

I have checked the link you provided and checked the registry and it is full of SQL Anywhere 16, but I'm not sure what the default is supposed to be set to.  I have tried resetting Visual Studio 2015 and it still does the same thing.  I did get a slightly different error after resetting VS and it referred to an ActivityLog.xml file, but I don't see a way to upload the file.

• Edited by tnswalker Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Hi tnswalker,

Thank you for your update and sorry for the delay reply.

Do you mean the Default value of all those five nodes under DataProviders are display as ".NET Framework Data Provider for SQL Anywhere 16"? I tried to check it in my local and I cannot found your first node {5Exxxxxxx}, and other 4 nodes are not for SQL Anywhere 16, may be you can have a try with back up the registry table and delete them to have a try.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:02 AM