Meaning of MAPI identifiers 0x5D0A and 0x5D0B RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have received data that has come from an Exchange EDB file and has been stored into a MSG file.  All the usual MAPI properties are present, but there are some unexpected properties that are not documented anywhere.  They have the MAPI IDs 0x5D0A and 0x5D0B.

This particular email has PR_SENDER_EMAIL_ADDRESS set to an X400-style address which is not surprising since PR_SENDER_ADDRTYPE is set to "EX" rather than SMTP.

The MAPI properties 0x5D0A and 0x5D0B seem to be set to the sender's SMTP address.  I know 0x5D01 is PR_SENDER_SMTP_ADDRESS so I assume these properties are slightly different (and 0x5D01 was not present in this data).

Can you please indicate the meaning of properties 0x5D0A and 0x5D0B?

Thank you.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:22 AM

Answers

• Just another developer2,

The properties are in the range documented by [MS-OXPROPS] 1.3.3 Property ID Ranges: 

0x5800 0x5FFF Transport-defined recipient property

And are therefore related to recipients. 0x5D0A is the creator SMTP address and 0x5D0B is the last modifier SMTP address.  These don't appear to be used by Outlook which is why they are not listed in the Exchange/Outlook Open Specifications. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

Friday, January 24, 2020 12:31 AM

All replies

• Hi JAD2,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the protocols team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:39 PM
  • Hi Just another developer2, 

Can you give a little more background on how the .msg file was created? The property ids you found (or at least 0x5D0A) seem to be related to TNEF so I would like to understand the scenario better. I'm assuming that you used some process like this: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/architecture/mailbox-servers/manage-databases?view=exchserver-2019

to access the .edb file. What process was used to extact the .msg file? 

Also, what version of Exchange Server was being used? Any other utilities or applications were used in this process?

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:47 PM
  • Just another developer2,

The properties are in the range documented by [MS-OXPROPS] 1.3.3 Property ID Ranges: 

0x5800 0x5FFF Transport-defined recipient property

And are therefore related to recipients. 0x5D0A is the creator SMTP address and 0x5D0B is the last modifier SMTP address.  These don't appear to be used by Outlook which is why they are not listed in the Exchange/Outlook Open Specifications. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

Friday, January 24, 2020 12:31 AM
  • Thank you Tom!

Friday, January 24, 2020 3:52 AM