none
server error there is no site named RRS feed

• Question

• I have three Frontpage web sites  on my hard drive.  I can open one in Expression Web 4.  When I try to open the other 2, I get the error message "server error there is no site named".  I checked and the files are on the hard drive.  I browse and select them and then get the error. 

To open the web site, I click on Sites - Open Site - Browse.  Then I navigate to the site I want to open and select it.  Oddly the path then displayed in the Expression Web Open Site window is not identical to the path selected.  The browsed path inlcudes: .../Documents/my documents and the displayed EW Path is just .../Documents/

I just reinstalled Expression Web after having to restore my computer to factory settings due to problems with MicroSoft Office 2010 upgrade.  I had opened all three of these web sites before my restore but had not done any work on them in Expression Web.

• Edited by marge is Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:33 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:20 PM

Answers

• Try creating a new empty site and then with the new empty site open, import from the old site to the new.
    That ""should" work.
    Expression Web MVP
    • Marked as answer by marge is Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:21 AM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 8:58 PM
  • I am so confused.  Anyway, I decided to try to import, but got a message that I had to create a new site first.  So I created a new folder in Windows Explorer for the new site.  Then in EW4, I clicked Site - New - General and Import Site Wizard.  I browsed to the site I wanted to open clicked open.  On the next screen I was asked to pick how I wanted to import I chose file system and got an error message.  I cancelled and then as if by magic, the original site was opened in EW4. 

I do not comprehend why this worked but oh well.

Marge
    • Marked as answer by marge is Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:07 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:07 PM

All replies

• Where are the sites located on your machine, and do the root folders for all 3 sites show the blue globe icon when viewed with Windows Explorer ?

If not browse to the folders without the globe using EW, and right click the folders and select: Convert to web.

Expression Web MVP

Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Thanks for your help.  In Windows Explorer, all three folders are in the Documents library at the same level.  When I Browse in EW under Sites, open site, the path is Documents/my documents.

None of them have a blue globe icon at the root folder.  When I open the folder, indiviudal web pages including the index.htm page have a blue icon, although it is so small I can not say that it is a Globe - I thought it was an "e".

Marge
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Then you don't have 3 web sites, you have 3 folders with files in them.

AS I mentioned, right click the folders using folder view in EW and select: Convert to web.

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Can you help me understand, then, why one "folder" can be opened as a web site, while the other two "folders" can not?

In EW, I tried File - Open , browsed to the folder, right clicked and see no option for "Convert to web" or anything similar.

In EW,  I tried Site -Open Site browsed to the folder, right clicked and see no option for "Convert to web" or anything similar.

To avoid having to ask to many questions here, I searched for "Convert to web" in Help and could not find anything but "convert table to Text".  I am missing something, what am I doing wrong?

Marge
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Try creating a new empty site and then with the new empty site open, import from the old site to the new.
    That ""should" work.
    Expression Web MVP
    • Marked as answer by marge is Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:21 AM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 8:58 PM
  • I am so confused.  Anyway, I decided to try to import, but got a message that I had to create a new site first.  So I created a new folder in Windows Explorer for the new site.  Then in EW4, I clicked Site - New - General and Import Site Wizard.  I browsed to the site I wanted to open clicked open.  On the next screen I was asked to pick how I wanted to import I chose file system and got an error message.  I cancelled and then as if by magic, the original site was opened in EW4. 

I do not comprehend why this worked but oh well.

Marge
    • Marked as answer by marge is Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:07 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Try opening the other one by adding it to your managed sites list.
    Site > Manage sites
    Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:45 PM
  • All four sites were on my managed sites list all along but two would not open.  Any way, thnak you so much for following up with me and I think I can get the fourth site open now, but I have need working in EW with the third site. 

Marge
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:22 AM
  • There are files located in the site folder who's directory is named _vti_pvt which EW uses to open the site within it's GUI. In the past my backup system has deleted these files providing the symptom you describe.

Murray Van Wieringen

Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:17 PM