Is Augemented Reality supoorted Windows 8 (asking for Windows 8 not WinRT and Windows Phone) RRS feed

• Question

• One software company (dev . mobile software) says us "AR is not supported for Windows8 ".Windows RT and Windows Phone is ok. But we can not make AR for Windows 8.  

In Windows store i have found this app (Corinth Micro Anatomy Augmented) .  App support  x86, x64, ARM .

Can someone develop an AR app for Windows 8 ? (x86 and x64 supportted)

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:17 PM

Answers

• Yes, augmented reality apps are possible on Windows 8. Windows 8 and Windows RT use the same Windows Store app API: anything you can do in a Windows Store app on Windows RT you can do in a Windows Store app on Windows 8. If you have native code (i.e C++) you will need to recompile for ARM vs. x86, but pure .Net or JavaScript apps can target both with the same binary.

Depending on the extent of the AR you may need to write this in C++. You can display the video stream and draw on top of it with Xaml. If you need to interpret the stream or modify the actual video that is done in a Media Foundation Transform (MFT) which requires native code.

--Rob

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:11 PM

All replies

• If you're not asking for Windows RT then you're in the wrong forum. But you can do anything in Windows 8 that you can do in Windows RT.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Yes, augmented reality apps are possible on Windows 8. Windows 8 and Windows RT use the same Windows Store app API: anything you can do in a Windows Store app on Windows RT you can do in a Windows Store app on Windows 8. If you have native code (i.e C++) you will need to recompile for ARM vs. x86, but pure .Net or JavaScript apps can target both with the same binary.

Depending on the extent of the AR you may need to write this in C++. You can display the video stream and draw on top of it with Xaml. If you need to interpret the stream or modify the actual video that is done in a Media Foundation Transform (MFT) which requires native code.

--Rob

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:11 PM