PowerPivot 2012 with SQL Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I am connecting to a SQL Azure data source from power pivot. I have my reporting tables grouped under a schema other than dbo, let's have the schema name as sch for illustrative purposes. The Table Import Wizard in powerpivot shows me the tables under sch schema, but there is no separate column displaying the schema name as with SQL 2008 R2. When I select the table and click finish, I get an error saying,

Failed to retrieve data from <Tablename>. Reason: Invalid object name '<Tablename>'

But when I write the query instead of selecting from the list of tables, I am able to get the data. This is the query:

SELECT * FROM sch.<Tablename>

So looks like the Table Import Wizard is not recognising the schemas in Azure. Please let me know if there is any workaround for this other than writing queries for selecting the objects.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:50 AM

Answers

• hi please go through the below link, it may help you.

http://thinknook.com/sql-azure-labs-data-explorer-tool-2012-04-18/

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I can't reproduce this; for me it works fine.

And I have a separate column for the schema name, where I also can sort by. Have you installed the latest release of PP SQL Server 2012 RTM?

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hi

I am using the latest version of powerpivot. And I am able to see the schema column when I connect to an on-prem sql 2008 r2 database. I face this issue only when connecting to Azure. Not sure if there are any settings to be configured for Azure.

Thanks

• Edited by sqldba_123 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:35 PM
  • hi please go through the below link, it may help you.

http://thinknook.com/sql-azure-labs-data-explorer-tool-2012-04-18/

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:16 PM
  • SQLDBA,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, October 28, 2013 7:05 AM