none
How many cross-project predecessors are too much for Project Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Thanks in advance for any guidance.  We have set up approx. 6 projects in our new project server environment and will be ramping up dozens more.  We would like to establish a lot of cross-project dependencies (i.e. predecessors/successors in a master-sub configuration).  It could by more than 500 links.  What kind of impact would that have performance (or stability) to the projects in the master-sub?

Thanks
    Art

Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Art,

In my point of view, this is more about how many subprojects will you have in your master projects? 10, 25, 50? Once the master plan with the subprojects opened, it should be no problem to manage many cross-projects links, even if 500 seems a lot to me. Your master plan might become hardly understandable, particularly if you try to see the impacts on the entire plan while moving a task.

A workaround would be to use the deliverables/dependencies feature. See this blog I wrote about it a while ago:

http://psbehindthescene.blogspot.com/2015/07/why-deliverabledependency-feature-is.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Art-PMO Friday, September 18, 2015 12:47 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Art,

In my point of view, this is more about how many subprojects will you have in your master projects? 10, 25, 50? Once the master plan with the subprojects opened, it should be no problem to manage many cross-projects links, even if 500 seems a lot to me. Your master plan might become hardly understandable, particularly if you try to see the impacts on the entire plan while moving a task.

A workaround would be to use the deliverables/dependencies feature. See this blog I wrote about it a while ago:

http://psbehindthescene.blogspot.com/2015/07/why-deliverabledependency-feature-is.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Art-PMO Friday, September 18, 2015 12:47 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 12:05 PM
  • I agree with Guillaume, trying to manage over 500 links is massively complex.  I would always track this dependencies elsewhere as well, especially if they are more complex than a 1:1 relationship...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:12 AM
  • To answer your question directly the performance will degrade significantly on opening the projects especially the master project.

Several alternative schemes exist most exploit expressing the dependency as a deliverable.

Best Regards | Power2plan | https://www.power2plan.com

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:55 AM
  • Thanks everyone for some compelling answers!  A follow-up if I may:

The ram-up will involved dozens of projects - and could be over 50.

The cross-project dependencies per project could be in the 5-10 range.  So each project could have 5 - 10 dependencies on other projects in the program.  I could certainly understand the performance on opening and using the master could be significantly degraded.  But what about individual projects?  If I open just one project (outside of the master) and it has 5-10 dependencies on the other projects would it have the same type of performance issue?

I like to the idea of deliverable/dependency although not having % complete as a published attribute might make is not as effective and require additional work.

Thanks again!
    Art

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 2:00 PM