writing Python 3 on Raspberry Pi 3b+ with Windows 10 Iot Core RRS feed

• Question

• I recently flashed Windows 10 Iot core on my SSD card, and my raspberry Pi 3b+ is now running windows. I am integrating multiple parts to the pi (via usb, and TTL) , and I am controlling these parts (such as camera, speakers) with python 3 code. Does Windows 10 Iot core support python3 in a way that allows me to write code to control integrated devices?  
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hello limeled3,

Did you want to develop a foreground app or background app with python? Python is supported in background application on Windows 10 IoT Core and also contains some module extensions which also support Windows 10 IoT Core. You can refer to this repo(https://github.com/ms-iot/python).

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Michael Xu-MSFT Wednesday, February 6, 2019 5:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by limeled3 Friday, February 8, 2019 4:01 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hello limeled3,

Did you want to develop a foreground app or background app with python? Python is supported in background application on Windows 10 IoT Core and also contains some module extensions which also support Windows 10 IoT Core. You can refer to this repo(https://github.com/ms-iot/python).

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Michael Xu-MSFT Wednesday, February 6, 2019 5:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by limeled3 Friday, February 8, 2019 4:01 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:07 AM
  • I had to look up the difference between foreground and background app. Honestly I am not sure. foreground needs activation and background continues to run, but in the code with loops and subcalls I would believe that it is constantly running. 

For my project I am designing and building circuits and using python to program it. Loops and subcalls. Originally I had Linux and was using thoney on the raspberry pi to program. I am trying to locate an equivalent way of programing with windows i0T core.  Am I able to control devices with interactive code? 

Also does Windows Iot core allows the raspberry pi to gain wireless internet yet? I know that was one of the issues with Window 10 Iot core.  

Friday, February 8, 2019 4:08 AM
  • One last question. 

I have Windows 10 drivers for my device to be identified through usb. 

Could I use Windows 10 drivers on the Windows 10 Iot core, or would I have to use some sort of translation software. 

Or do I not use either, and Windows Iot Core has tools and drivers that allows serial connection to be identified. I changed to Windows 10 Iot Core because I could not read the device via serial through the Pi. Since I have the drivers for the device on a CD, I could transfer the drivers files on the SD card and access it through the SD card. Just need to know if that is compatible and if not what I need to do to make it compatible. 

Friday, February 8, 2019 4:39 AM
  • Hello limeled3,

Sorry for late response. The driver for Windows 10 can not work on Windows 10 IoT Core on Raspberry Pi 3b+, because Raspberry Pi is ARM based. Raspberry Pi 3B+ supports serial communication with UART0, you can refer to the Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 Pin Mappings. But there are few samples for python on windows iot core.

I have confirmed that when i wanted to create a python background from template(VS->Python->Winodws IoT Core->Background Application(IoT)), an exception appeared in vs, the same issue here(https://github.com/Microsoft/PTVS/issues/4660).

It seems that Python does not support on Windows IoT Core 17763, please see Programming Languages on Windows IoT Core. In addition, at the moment, the release for the Raspberry Pi 3B+ is an unsupported technical preview. 

Best Regards,

Michael

Monday, February 11, 2019 2:22 AM