none
recording kinect joint data and then convert to bvh RRS feed

• Question

• I am recording the joint positional data in c# xna 4.0 to a file which I can then use to replay the actions. Has anyone any info on converting the joint data to a BVH file format.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:15 AM

All replies

• Ghrenig, I am not doing this, but I am very interested in teaming up on if if you want. I am a long time resident of Second Life and a developer there of animated products. I interested specifically in being able to use Kinect to do motion capture into BVH files for use in Second Life. I have done a lot of 3d math over the years, and have been programming for years but do not know c#, I am familiar with the skelatal form used in SL, which is my target conversion. Lets talk  (valradica@gmail.com)
    Friday, December 30, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Hi,

I think that you can have part of the answer from this post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdknuiapi/thread/8516bab7-c28b-4834-82c9-b3ef911cd1f7

My question has to do with the bvh format. The root point in kinect is the hip joint. In bvh format we need to specify the hierarchy, starting obviously for the hip. So, we need to calculate the Tx,Ty,Tz (translation), and Rx,Ry,Rz (rotation) for this joint. The translation is derived from how far or close is the user (depth channel), but how is the rotation of thhis particular joint is calculated?

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Monday, May 21, 2012 2:36 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I believe if you mean the bones in 3d software which are equilivent to skeletons in kinects software akira has made 3ds max scripts so you can import your animation into a 3ds max 3d model for animating it quicker. As having taken the 3d modeling class i would say animating the figure is the hardest thing to do.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:26 PM