Oracle Help RRS feed

• Question

• User-1946294156 posted

I am very new to Oracle, and I need to accomplish the following:

Pull data from Oracle Database and upload it to an SQL Server. 

Now ideally, I would like to use SSIS to pull the data as this is exactly what SSIS is designed to do.  When I try to use the default Oracle and the Oracle preferred data connection namespaces, I get an error stating that there are no listeners. 

I then try to utilize the OLE DB Connections in C#, which, with no surprise, provides me with the same error.  I am currently using an ODBC to connect, but would like to utilize the SSIS package so I don't have so many pieces. 

Where are the listners supposed to be located, are they supposed to be located on server where the DB is or on the local machine/server?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:14 PM

Answers

• User-691759321 posted

I would always download and install the Oracle Client Drivers for your version of Oracle.  This will provide OLE DB and .NET drivers to make the proper connections.  Be sure to also have the proper LDAP or TNS files configured for your connection.  If this does not mean anything to you need to speak to the DBA of the Oracle database to get these files.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:47 PM

All replies

• User-691759321 posted

I would always download and install the Oracle Client Drivers for your version of Oracle.  This will provide OLE DB and .NET drivers to make the proper connections.  Be sure to also have the proper LDAP or TNS files configured for your connection.  If this does not mean anything to you need to speak to the DBA of the Oracle database to get these files.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:47 PM
  • User1013750657 posted

since oracle configuration is not known , you should make sure you can tnsping the alias from where you are located.

if you cant then you have a oracle configuration problem.

even if you are on the server you should be able to tnsping your alias.

the listener is always configured on the db server. (probably it might be able to install in remote machines , but never seen it , and not sure what were the advantages of it)

if its a microsoft windows machine you shoud check your windows services....one of them is the tnslistener service and it should be running.

i would recomend olso to use system.data.oracleclient name space from microsoft. just make sure if you are not on the server to install at least the oracle 10g client of higher.

with all this check it should be very easy from .net , just :

OracleConnection MyOracleConnection = new OracleConnection("""connection string""");

MyOracleConnection.open();

rgds

rui

Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:01 PM
  • User186802836 posted

there are no listeners - means you cannot access oracle server by some reason: server is down, listener is not running, the server is protected by firewall, etc. just contact to your oracle DBA

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:34 PM