Problems with Media player RRS feed

• Question

• I have added a media player to my web site. I can hear it when I open the site up on the internet but no one else can. Why can I hear it but no one else can?
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:06 PM

Answers

• Your site is telling the media player to play "file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Robert Jones/My Documents/jasoncampbellandsingltree.com/albuquerque.wma"

Not too surprisingly, you can play a file on your own computer, but we can't.

Fix the link.  Now, I have no idea if all users can/will permit the add-on to play it, but that's a separate question.

• Marked as answer by my10stng Friday, April 22, 2011 3:55 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:33 PM
  • The music plays.  The source code now correctly shows:

<param name="filename" value="Albuquerque.wma" />

which means it's a file in the same directory as the page.

Now I will tell you another thing you need to know: Playing music onload is the wrong thing to do.  People do not want to go to a website and have the computer catch them by surprise by blaring out sound, and they don't want to not be able to turn it off.  They may be next to sleeping people, they may be in a library, they may be on break at an office, and, heck, they may not like the music.  Put controls on the page, tell folks what they will hear if they push play, and let them make the choice when and for how long to listen.

• Marked as answer by my10stng Friday, April 22, 2011 3:56 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• Because the moon is blue?

Seriously, you have not given us a link or any other information.

Please read the "... Start Here" post, if you haven't already.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Forgive me for not suppying link. www.jasoncampbellandsingletree.com

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Your site is telling the media player to play "file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Robert Jones/My Documents/jasoncampbellandsingltree.com/albuquerque.wma"

Not too surprisingly, you can play a file on your own computer, but we can't.

Fix the link.  Now, I have no idea if all users can/will permit the add-on to play it, but that's a separate question.

• Marked as answer by my10stng Friday, April 22, 2011 3:55 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:33 PM
  • I do not know what to do in order to fix the link. I have the wav file along with everything else in that one file. This is why I am asking the question.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:51 PM
  • Sounds like you are not working in a local site but creating individual pages. If you creat indvidual pages without first creating a sit in Expression Web it will have no frame of reference for your links. Make sure you open EW and navigate to your site folder using Site > Open Site.

When you do that I expect that the correct link will be "albuquerque.wma" but as Kathy said it may or may not play depending on what the visitor decides and their browser capabilities.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Thank-you Cheryl. I will give that a shot. I will repost another if this does not work. Thanks again for the info.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Well what you should do if it does work is come back here and mark the answer(s) that helped you so other people know.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Friday, April 22, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Have been out of pocket but am here now. I tried what you said Cheryl but I am still not getting my wav file played on page load from anyone's computer but mine. Still need help. Thank-you.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 2:19 PM
  • You are still not working on a defined site, it seems. 

Now it looks for "file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Robert%20Jones/My%20Documents/jasoncampbellandsingltree.com/Albuquerque.mp3"

It is still looking for a file on your computer (this time an mps file , not a wma file).

How are you editing the link?  (Step by step, menu by menu, starting with EW closed.)

Friday, April 22, 2011 2:37 PM
  • I have changed the file to an mp3 because the wav file was so large. Hopefully it will load faster that way. I am editing the media player by right clicking on media player and opening up the properties. I then select the file from where it is located on computer.

I am going to remove the media player and remove the audio file and start over.

Friday, April 22, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Ok. I have removed and started over. The tag looks different. Still don't know if this has fixed the problem yet. Somone please give it a listen and tell me if the media player is playing on load now.

www.jasoncampbellandsingletree.com

Friday, April 22, 2011 3:26 PM
  • The music plays.  The source code now correctly shows:

<param name="filename" value="Albuquerque.wma" />

which means it's a file in the same directory as the page.

Now I will tell you another thing you need to know: Playing music onload is the wrong thing to do.  People do not want to go to a website and have the computer catch them by surprise by blaring out sound, and they don't want to not be able to turn it off.  They may be next to sleeping people, they may be in a library, they may be on break at an office, and, heck, they may not like the music.  Put controls on the page, tell folks what they will hear if they push play, and let them make the choice when and for how long to listen.

• Marked as answer by my10stng Friday, April 22, 2011 3:56 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Good advise Kathy. Thank-you so much for this reply. I will make the changes and be happy that it works. I will also mark this as an answer. Have a great day!
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Absolute coincidence, but the link to this Design Festival article just came through on my Twitter feed today:

http://designfestival.com/top-5-peeves-of-bad-web-design/

Notice what is number one on the list...     ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 6:45 PM