How to run SQL server 2008 after installing an instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 on the same machine as an instance of SQL Server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• After I installed an instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 on the same machine as an instance of SQL Server 2008 how can I run sql server 2008 instance

Please help me,

Thanks,

Dai Nguyen Quang

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, via the SQL Server Configuration Manager, confirm that you have 2 instances installed.  You can do this by looking under the SQL Server Services tab, and identifying each unique installation.  Check that the SQL Server services are running for both instances, i.e. 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)' - default instances, 'SQL Server (NAMEDINSTANCE)' - named instance.

Then, using SQL Server 2008R2 Management Studio on the local machine, connect to both instances using the machinename\instancename, i.e. 'mymachine' - default instance, and 'mymachine\namedinstance' - named instance.

Thanks, Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, July 30, 2012 5:54 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 4:06 PM
  • try connecting to .\SQLEXPRESS.  There doesn't seem to be any other instances installed.  Are you sure you selected the database engine feature at installation time?

Thanks, Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:56 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, via the SQL Server Configuration Manager, confirm that you have 2 instances installed.  You can do this by looking under the SQL Server Services tab, and identifying each unique installation.  Check that the SQL Server services are running for both instances, i.e. 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)' - default instances, 'SQL Server (NAMEDINSTANCE)' - named instance.

Then, using SQL Server 2008R2 Management Studio on the local machine, connect to both instances using the machinename\instancename, i.e. 'mymachine' - default instance, and 'mymachine\namedinstance' - named instance.

Thanks, Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:55 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 4:06 PM
  • The service tab as below, I can run sql server 2008 r2with which instance.

Maybe I was wrong when install sql server 2008 r2 side-by-side sql server 2008?

Thanks, Dai Nguyen Quang

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:15 PM
  • try connecting to .\SQLEXPRESS.  There doesn't seem to be any other instances installed.  Are you sure you selected the database engine feature at installation time?

Thanks, Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:56 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Maybe I was wrong when install.

Thanks for your answer.

Dai Quang Nguyen

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:24 PM