none
How to create a conversion funnel in Application Insights

Question

• I am trying to find out how to create a Sales Funnel / Conversion funnel in Application Insights as web trends provides. My objective is to capture events in Sequence to track a conversion to sale. For example a user comes on home page > clicks a product > adds to basket > makes payment > submits order ; this whole sequence should be tracked as one event / set of events. 
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:34 PM

Answers

• You can use  Application Analytics portal to build a query which would return the sequences of different patterns your users are doing.

The following query creates a funnel of reported events and how many sessions had the same sequence.

customEvents | where timestamp > ago(12h)

| where name in ("myEvent1", "myEvent2", "myEvent3") | order by timestamp asc | summarize funnel = makelist(name) by session_Id | summarize count() by tostring(funnel) | top 50 by count_

In the above query I have filtered for specific events. You should update that list per your reported events.

Dan

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:23 PM

All replies

• Application Insights does not natively support funnel charts today, (though it is something we'd like to do).

The best way to do this is to export your Application Insights data to PowerBI: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/app-insights-export-power-bi/

And then setup a funnel chart over your Application Insights data in PowerBI: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-funnel-charts/

Todd King - Application Insights team.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:47 PM
  • You can use telemetryClient.TrackEvent(EventTelemetry). To correlate events you can set operationId

var telemetry = new EventTelemetry("name");

telemetry.Context.Operation.Id = "ID";

Anastasia

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:51 PM
  • You can use  Application Analytics portal to build a query which would return the sequences of different patterns your users are doing.

The following query creates a funnel of reported events and how many sessions had the same sequence.

customEvents | where timestamp > ago(12h)

| where name in ("myEvent1", "myEvent2", "myEvent3") | order by timestamp asc | summarize funnel = makelist(name) by session_Id | summarize count() by tostring(funnel) | top 50 by count_

In the above query I have filtered for specific events. You should update that list per your reported events.

Dan

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Application Insights now support native funnels in the portal. You can create a conversion funnel from custom events or page views. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-understand-usage-patterns

Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:07 PM
  • I recently wrote a blog post detailing all the steps on how to convert your AI custom Events into Sankey diagrams in power BI.

There are some pitfalls along the way, but overall very do-able.

Thanks,

Assaf

• Edited by Assaf N Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Assaf N Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:21 AM