Getting error while trying to migrate data to Azure SQL Database from Oracle using the "SSMA for Oracle" tool RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the "SSMA for Oracle" tool to migrate Oracle databases to Azure SQL Databases. I am able to migrate the schemas. But I am getting the below error while migrating the data:

> Error occurred while inserting table information into Data Migration Auxiliary table. Reason: Invalid object name 'Databasename.WIMS_ST.o2ss.MSSsmaDmTables'

I have already followed this link and all the steps in it without any success: Error Migrating Data Error occurred while...

Has someone else also faced this issue recently? Can you please provide some pointers. Any log files etc. I should be checking or any configurations I may be missing.

To add more, I realized that when i select"Synchronize with database" from the Azure SQL Database Metadata explorer window, in the Synchronization error ouput, I see lots of error messages as "synchroniztion error: Invalid object name 'ssma_oracle.t_dbms_sql_recordset'. On:database.ssma_oracle.t_dbms_sql_recordset Errors: Cannot find the object "ssma_oracle.db_error_list" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.

Thanks -NK

• Edited by NKhurmi Friday, April 17, 2020 12:02 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2020 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hi NK,

it seems that some object names are invalid on the Azure SQL Databases.
    Have you installed the SSMA for Oracle Extension Pack on your Azure SQL DB Instance ? 

check below articles if help:
    Migrate Oracle to Azure SQL Database 

Migrate your Oracle database to Azure SQL Database Managed Instance using SSMA 8.0

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 17, 2020 7:11 AM
  • Hi Cris,

I believe we don't need to install SSMA for Oracle Extension Pack if Target Database is Azure SQL Database.

I have followed one whitepaper from Microsoft team which says we only need to install the extension pack if target is on prem SQL or Azure SQL Database managed instance. let me know if I am wrong at this point.

Thanks -NK

Friday, April 17, 2020 5:57 PM
  • Hi NK,

I think you are right, there is no need to install SSMA for the Oracle Extension Pack If the target database is an Azure SQL database.
    What causes the error needs further exploration.

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 20, 2020 1:25 AM