none
Kinect v2 on Intel HD 4400? RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone say something about Kinect v2 performance on configurations with Intel HD 4400? Is there anything that could be called "acceptable frame rate" in Kinect Fusion or Kinect Studio? 

Or this graphic card is just enough for starting up the camera and something high-end should be used for normal work?

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:40 AM

Answers

• Fusion is computationally demanding.

However...

For low end systems, one solution would be to preview fusion output at low resolution using the least demanding parameters, e.g. instead of processing 512x424 depth data, use 128x106 (1/16th of data), keep voxels down to lowest viable. You can store full frame data as needed and once the realtime scan is done, replay data through fusion api to produce an HD scan.

Not tried it so can't say if any gotchas using the api this way but in principle I'd expect 15fps to be feasible. I've not seen anyone try this approach yet either but its an obvious way to enable scanning on lower end devices.

The main purpose of Kinect studio is so we can record test data for development purposes and as with all things Kinect, development is definitely a more pleasurable experience using a higher end PC, CPU and GPU. I think we need to wait until Studio is closer to release before making any calls on minimum viable systems.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Dedicated graphics memory should help (I think the 840M is usually paired with 2Gb DDR3?). 4700MQ is quad core (not all Core i7s are confusingly) so that's good - easy to exercise all 4 cores if available for Kinect development! Seems like that HP should be well within K4W2 spec.

In theory Kinect Studio should be fine. Fusion is very demanding but ought to be possible to make something useable on this config. In theory - I've no experience with this model so can't make a + or - recommendation even if I wanted to (and I never recommend anyway), perhaps someone here has tried a similar HP with beta/weeklies?

Personally I'd go for 16Gb RAM model as DDR3 is so inexpensive nowadays seems pointless to limit Haswell i5+ to 8Gb except for the bargain basement or the department of fantasy marketing.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:24 PM

All replies

• Fusion is computationally demanding.

However...

For low end systems, one solution would be to preview fusion output at low resolution using the least demanding parameters, e.g. instead of processing 512x424 depth data, use 128x106 (1/16th of data), keep voxels down to lowest viable. You can store full frame data as needed and once the realtime scan is done, replay data through fusion api to produce an HD scan.

Not tried it so can't say if any gotchas using the api this way but in principle I'd expect 15fps to be feasible. I've not seen anyone try this approach yet either but its an obvious way to enable scanning on lower end devices.

The main purpose of Kinect studio is so we can record test data for development purposes and as with all things Kinect, development is definitely a more pleasurable experience using a higher end PC, CPU and GPU. I think we need to wait until Studio is closer to release before making any calls on minimum viable systems.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Oh, thanks. Could be a good idea to try it on lower resolutions. Have not been thinking about it.

It is partly a hardware issue for me since my laptop at work does not meet all the requirements (usb connectivity) and I am at the moment looking for the replacement. But cannot truly understand what should I get. 

Friend of mine has i7, 8gb ram and GeForce 760 and still suffers from a low frame rates.

I was looking at HP Envy 15 (company has an agriment with HP):

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 2,4 GHz, 6 MB cache

8 GB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M

I know that the graphic card is far from perfect, but should be relatively usable. According to what I read at official Kinect page.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Dedicated graphics memory should help (I think the 840M is usually paired with 2Gb DDR3?). 4700MQ is quad core (not all Core i7s are confusingly) so that's good - easy to exercise all 4 cores if available for Kinect development! Seems like that HP should be well within K4W2 spec.

In theory Kinect Studio should be fine. Fusion is very demanding but ought to be possible to make something useable on this config. In theory - I've no experience with this model so can't make a + or - recommendation even if I wanted to (and I never recommend anyway), perhaps someone here has tried a similar HP with beta/weeklies?

Personally I'd go for 16Gb RAM model as DDR3 is so inexpensive nowadays seems pointless to limit Haswell i5+ to 8Gb except for the bargain basement or the department of fantasy marketing.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Yes, 840M comes with 2GB DDR3 and one of the negative points is 64 bit bus width. Nothing to discuss though, because not that many business laptops have good graphic card solutions. 

So, maybe, it will work somehow on appropriate levels - one of the main prerequisites for my work is mobility. I should be able to move camera+laptop from location to location. 

Or, after couple of updates, SDK will start working smoothly :-)

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:21 AM