none
A question regarding Windows Biometric Framework (WBF) RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello all

1-I would like to find a good tutorial/examples about it, i have seen the MSDN documentation but it didn't seem that helping ( i didn't check it in detail in fact)

2-Is it really a reliable & interoperable  framework or there is any suggested other framework

3-Is it possible to capture an image from the finger print using WBF

4-What devices are supported by WBF (I want the best one if possible)

5-I'm planning to make it as plug-in for the browser , is that possible ? since it's coded by c++

6- Should i program my own driver for it , or i can use an existing device driver ( please suggest me a device if exists)
    • Edited by MohdRash Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:45 AM Forget to mention something
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:43 AM

Answers

• >> I would like to find a good tutorial/examples about it, i have seen the MSDN documentation but it didn't seem that helping ( i didn't check it in detail in fact)

The MSDN documentation for the client-side WBF calls (e.g., WinBioOpenSession, etc.) is a good place to start. If you scroll to the bottom of the page for a particular function, you'll find rather detailed source code showing how to use the function, generally in the context of a larger task. So for example, the MSDN page for WinBioOpenSession includes code showing how to perform a fingerprint "identify" operation once you've opened the session handle.

>> Is it really a reliable & interoperable  framework or there is any suggested other framework

The WBF is as reliable as the underlying sensor driver and matching engine, which are provided by the sensor IHV.

In general, fingerprint templates built with data from one vendor's sensors can't be used to match fingerprints captured with another vendor's sensors. Many sensor IHVs use proprietary template formats, so cross-sensor interoperability is limited. This is not specifically a WBF issue, but rather is a side effect of the way the industry works.

>> Is it possible to capture an image from the finger print using WBF

The WinBioCaptureSample API can return raw fingerprint data from a sensor. However, for security reasons, the WBF doesn't allow non-admin users to call this API. (We treat fingerprint data as a very important form of "personal information" and don't like to let it escape from the secure portions of the OS.) The preferred way to use WBF is to call WinBioIdentify or WinBioVerify; these APIs will capture a fingerprint and return the SID and finger ID of the user who enrolled the fingerprint.

>> What devices are supported by WBF (I want the best one if possible)

A number of fingerprint sensor manufactures support WBF. I would suggest doing a web search for something like "windows biometric framework fingerprint reader support". Unfortunately, I can't give you specific hardware recommendations.

>> I'm planning to make it as plug-in for the browser , is that possible ? since it's coded by c++

I'm familiar enough with browser-plugin architecture to give you much advice. I do know there are third-party ISVs using WinBio calls in their browser plugins, so I'm confident it would work.

>> Should i program my own driver for it , or i can use an existing device driver ( please suggest me a device if exists)

Any fingerprint sensor that supports WBF will already have a driver package supplied by the sensor manufacturer. You shouldn't need to write drivers or other WBF plugin components to make the sensor work.

Regards,
    Art Baker
    Senior Software Engineer - Windows Security

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:07 PM