How can I get the contents in resouce.pri file of metro app package?

Question

• How can I use desktop app to get contents of resouce.pri file in metro app package?

I want to get the localizable displayName in manifest like ms:resource, Any direction?. Or is there any tools can read the contents of resource.pri?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• @Popeye_Cn - you want a regular (non-Metro desktop app to be able to access the resources)?  Where would the app be running and how would it know where to find the PRI file.  This seems curious.

Regardless, you'd want to use the WinRT APIs to read the contents of that binary file.  There is an SDK tool that dumps it to an XML file, but that is only in the SDK and not a runtime thing.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Hi Tim Heuer,

Thanks for your reply.

I want to develop an desktop app which will list the metro style app Tiles(display the icon and TileName),  the desktop app enumerate installation path of metro app (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps) and get the iconpath、displayName resource from manifest

The question is that the displayName in manifest like ms:resource, not the real string, so I want get the real displayName from PRI file. Is there Win32 APIs or WinRT APIs which can used by desktop app  to read the contents of that resource file?

The PRI files are also in installation path of metro app (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps) .

Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Ah then you don't even need to crack the PRI.  In your app you'd use the Windows.ApplicationModel.Package APIs to enumerate the packages and get the DisplayName attribute out of it.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I think "Windows.ApplicationModel.Package" API can only get the current Metro app's package information. 

And I'm also curious about how to get information( displayName, iconPath...etc) of all installed metro app on local machine.

Is there any API can do this job?

Thanks for reply.

Howard

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:42 AM