Difference between Visual Studio with Xamarin and Xamarin Studio RRS feed

• Question

• User147641 posted

Hey Everyone,

I am new to app programming, however I do know how to code in C#, C, and C++. I have a Microsoft student account and have Visual Studio and recently I downloaded Xamarin Studio. What is the difference between Visual Studio with Xamarin and Xamarin Studio? Which one is better? Also, which is the easiest language to code apps in.

Thank you

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:49 PM

Answers

• User48032 posted

Visual Studio - available on Windows machines - support for Xamarin iOS, Xamarin Android, and Windows (i.e. Windows Store, Windows Phone, and Universal) projects - Visual Studio supports extensions. Many devs love Resharper, as one example.

Xamarin Studio on Windows only supports Xamarin Android projects Xamarin Studio on Mac only supports Xamarin Android and Xamarin iOS projects

The easiest language to code in is the language you're most familiar with. If you're comfortable in Objective-C and C++, and that's what you want to use, then you don't need Xamarin. Xamarin is popular because it allows .NET Developers to create cross platform apps using C#, and enables code reuse among the targeted platforms through Portable Class Libraries and/or Shared Projects (which you won't get if you choose to develop native iOS and Android apps).

If you are comfortable with C# and want to create cross platform apps that target multiple platforms while being able to maximize code reuse, then use Xamarin and C#.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:17 PM
  • User65389 posted

@LoriLalonde:
    Good explanation :smiley:
    Add (to @SaivamsiHanumanthu)
    With Visual Studio, you have various further possibilities to create software (Windows Forms / WPF, web-applications (ASP.NET), Cordova, and so on...
    So... as you already have VS, I think, the best way for you is, to go with VS :smirk:

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:37 PM

All replies

• User48032 posted

Visual Studio - available on Windows machines - support for Xamarin iOS, Xamarin Android, and Windows (i.e. Windows Store, Windows Phone, and Universal) projects - Visual Studio supports extensions. Many devs love Resharper, as one example.

Xamarin Studio on Windows only supports Xamarin Android projects Xamarin Studio on Mac only supports Xamarin Android and Xamarin iOS projects

The easiest language to code in is the language you're most familiar with. If you're comfortable in Objective-C and C++, and that's what you want to use, then you don't need Xamarin. Xamarin is popular because it allows .NET Developers to create cross platform apps using C#, and enables code reuse among the targeted platforms through Portable Class Libraries and/or Shared Projects (which you won't get if you choose to develop native iOS and Android apps).

If you are comfortable with C# and want to create cross platform apps that target multiple platforms while being able to maximize code reuse, then use Xamarin and C#.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:17 PM
  • User147641 posted

Thank you LoriLalonde,

That answers my question. I'll use C# because that will allow me to create cross-platform apps.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:57 PM
  • User65389 posted

@LoriLalonde:
    Good explanation :smiley:
    Add (to @SaivamsiHanumanthu)
    With Visual Studio, you have various further possibilities to create software (Windows Forms / WPF, web-applications (ASP.NET), Cordova, and so on...
    So... as you already have VS, I think, the best way for you is, to go with VS :smirk:

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:37 PM
  • User183071 posted

Thank you very much for your clear explanation. But, is this still valid at the end of 2016?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:09 AM
  • User96159 posted

Visual Studio is on the mac and PC with visual studio 2017. The mac version is at the time of writing is in preview and has some xamarin and .net core stuff in it. Visual Studio for the Mac does not have everything the windows version does.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-mac/

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:51 AM
  • User117270 posted

If some one try to build iOS application I strongly recommend to use Xamarin.iOS, it's faster than visual studio that run in VM besides mac.os or run on another machine that connected to the mac device. Visual Studio just wasting my time in building,releasing and debugging iOS applications. for example I have MacBook Pro 2015( i7, 16G) , when I build a shared project iOS application with Xamarin Studio it just takes 5 to 6 seconds to run on iOS simulator, but when I use visual studio it takes more than 18 seconds. cleaning a solution with Xamarin.iOS just takes 1 second, but with visual studio it would take more than 7 seconds. just consider that you want to build or debug or clean project many times in a working day, and then sum of these seconds would come up....., xamarin.ios in visual studio has many issues too.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:19 PM
  • User263253 posted

What about the new Visual Studio for Mac?

I am currently working with Xamarin Studio but I also use Visual Studio on Windows from time to time, and would love to unify the platforms across systems. Any experience with VS for Mac? Is it worth it to switch from Xamarin Studio?

Saturday, August 12, 2017 11:33 AM
  • User272135 posted

@MartinSchwill said: What about the new Visual Studio for Mac?

I am currently working with Xamarin Studio but I also use Visual Studio on Windows from time to time, and would love to unify the platforms across systems. Any experience with VS for Mac? Is it worth it to switch from Xamarin Studio?

You should've switched to VS for Mac quite some time ago. Xamarin Studio is obsolete and isn't going to get anymore updates. When VS for Mac was in preview, you would've had more reason to stay on Xamarin Studio as some people don't want to deal with new bugs, but there is a stable version now released.

Also, Windows isn't covered in VS for Mac just like Xamarin Studio. You can think of VS for Mac as a new update to Xamarin Studio, but it's rebranded.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:11 PM
  • User263253 posted

@NashZhou Thank you for your feedback! Will my current Xamarin Studio projects work on VS for Mac without issues? Have you tried such transition?

@edit Nevermind, already checked, working fine :)

Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:39 PM
  • User272135 posted

@MartinSchwill You'll be able to use your Xamarin projects on Visual Studio for Mac. Issues may occur when you're updating packages just like before in Xamarin Studio when it was still relevant.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 2:51 PM