Connecting to a tabular model -- combining with Excel calculations RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need some advice on how to combine measures and fields coming from an analytical model (tabular) along with some Excel calculations.

Basically I want to provide users with a simple report (to be displayed in SharePoint Excel services) containing charts and slicers. The data comes from a tabular model, and most of the calculations are in the model as well.

However there is some little tweaking that must be done. For example I might need additional calculated columns, but I don't feel the need to modify the tabular model for that. I was wondering if I could do this within Excel as well -- but without having to bring all the data through a pivot table, then manipulate it and then show it on the report. So to be clear I do not want any pivot tables lying around, even if on a hidden sheet.

I noticed that when selecting a pivot chart in Excel, at the ribbon menu under "PIVOTCHART TOOLS"/"ANALYSE" there is a group of buttons named "Calculations". One of them is named OLAP Tools.

Is it fair to assume that these options will allow me to create new measures at the Excel side, without affecting my tabular model?

Thanks in advance for the help and support.

Regards,

P.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies