Is there anything to allow CUIT to run in remote machines without installing Visual Studio in them??? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a basic, but very important question.  Since Microsoft seems to have stop development of their UIAutomation APIs in favor of their CUIT new definitions (which you have to pay more for),  can coded UI testing take place in remote machines without the need to hack and move many CUIT dlls manually to remote machines?   I tried running MSTEST on remote machines and could not do it.  There is always something missing.  I certainly wished Microsoft provided an individual package similar to what they do with MSBUILD so we can run those test in remote machines.   I'm not doing any recordings with CUIT,  I just like to use it to map my UI controls and use them in code.   I recently switched back to the older UIAutomation apis and Xunit so I could run tests remotely, but it seems as if the support of older UIAUtomation APIs with new controls is not as good as the new CUIT definitions.  I can find more properties and patterns when I use CUIT than with the older definitions.  This is mainly because I can cast AutomationControls to WPF controls, but I can't cast AutomationElements to WPF controls.  If anyone can shed some light into this I appreciate it.

NR

• Edited by Highlander4 Friday, January 6, 2017 2:55 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Highlander4,

>> can coded UI testing take place in remote machines without the need to hack and move many CUIT dlls manually to remote machines?

It seems no.

As far as I know, the only way to run coded UI test in a machine without having VS installed is to install Test Agent to get MSTest. But copying dlls is an infringement.

Or to run tests remotely on multiple machines, we must use a test controller and test agents.

The test controller runs as a service and assigns tests to test agents to run. But we still have to manager the test controller and test agents by using Visual Studio, or we register the test controller with Team Foundation Server, then we manager the controller and agent by using MTM.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Highlander4,

>> can coded UI testing take place in remote machines without the need to hack and move many CUIT dlls manually to remote machines?

It seems no.

As far as I know, the only way to run coded UI test in a machine without having VS installed is to install Test Agent to get MSTest. But copying dlls is an infringement.

Or to run tests remotely on multiple machines, we must use a test controller and test agents.

The test controller runs as a service and assigns tests to test agents to run. But we still have to manager the test controller and test agents by using Visual Studio, or we register the test controller with Team Foundation Server, then we manager the controller and agent by using MTM.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Yes, the test agents was the answer.  Once installed in the remote machines and VMs,  I was able to run CUIT tests in them.

NR

Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:55 PM