Advanced Logging Feedback thread RRS feed

• Question

• User-1756696809 posted

The beta release of Advanced Logging was announced on 03/18/2009 at the MIX09 conference.  With Advanced Logging you will be able to capture rich details in your logs and process them in real-time. These capabilities make this feature really compelling by helping you monetize your content with better analytics and improve service with rich QOS information.

What are your thoughts and questions about Advanced Logging?  We'd love to hear them...

Friday, March 20, 2009 12:28 PM

All replies

• User-2064283741 posted

This looks useful especially for the central logging aspects something farm admin have been wanting for a while.

I do have a question which is related to logged and wondered if this module can/could in the future reflect this.

I believe, that the case in IIS that logging is done (by default) in 64KB batches. Sometimes this is a pain when troubleshooting problems with seldom used sites.

Researching previous versions of IIS 4,5 had a registry tweak of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo\Parameters
    Value: LogFileBatchSize

to change the size of the log files batch for all sites on the server.

But what I really wanted to do was have this on a per-site basis.

I cannot get it to do this behaviour in IIS 6 or 7 and I ma stuck with a cache. Does anyone know how? 

I understand the performance issue with having it too low (multiple writes to disk, etc) but sometimes when testing a site you need to see the logs in realtime. Hence a per site request.

Your Advanced logging talks about realtime but is it really realtime or do you have to wait for the buffer to be full before it rights to the log file and can it be configured on a site by site basis?

(BTW  I have not installed the advanced logging module yet there are too many modules coming out atm)

Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:01 PM
  • User-1756696809 posted

Hi,

To answer your questions first:

1. There are two configuration controls provided in advanced Logging for that scenario - archivalThreadIntervalMilliseconds and archiveToDiskIntervalSeconds. The first control is per worker process. This determines how often a worker process will wake up to check if something needs to be written. The second is per log. This is even more granular then per site since each site could have multiple logs now. This determines how often we write to that log. These are all configurable in IIS config (applicationHost.config or web.config)
    2. Real-Time Logging: the way we do this is we raise an event when we are about to write to a file. You can use this event (with all log data) in real-time. So it is indeed real-time. More details: http://blogs.iis.net/vsood/archive/2009/03/20/advanced-logging-how-does-real-time-logging-work.aspx

Lastly, I wanted to clarify that centralized log farm is for client logging. You can send all your client-side logs via HTTP POST to a central log farm. For server-side logging, there is no in-the-box support for centralized logging. You could however write a simple IIS module to listen to real-time events even for server-side logs, and push data to a DB or a web service and do central logging.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:49 PM
  • User1386189524 posted

I am trying to debug an intermittent problem with a Silverlight client -> IIS Smooth streaming installation on my development web server.

A few times, lasting for say 12 hours, I have received an "InvalidOperationException" ".. network error" on multiple test machines / networks (home vs office).  Then suddenly, whilst I was trying to diagnose the problem it started working again.

I have Advanced logging installed and perused the logs.  There is very comprehensive logging of requests, however I can't see anything that might indicate an error. 

So, my questions are as follows

1.  Should there be any information in the logs that would indicate the source of the error?

2.  Is there anything I can configure to enhance my IIS Smooth streaming advanced log entries?

3.  Is there anything I can program into my Silverlight client to log help diagnose this problem?

4.  In general, is there a technique I can use to write to the advanced log from a Silverlight client?

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:54 AM