VS 2012 freezes

Question

• For your information,

- ThinkPad T400 4GB DualBoot Windows 8 ReleasePreview
    - Visual Studio 2012 Professional Version 11.0.50621.1 QRELRC July 2012, to develop Metro CSharp Xaml applications using mostly the Grid (GridView) template
    - Only 1 Add-on (NuGet) but all projects I am working on do not involve using it. 

- since june 20

-- outcome

- up until the VS July Update, I had 3 complete system freezes
    - since the VS July Update, I have approximately 1 complete system freeze every day

-- symptoms
    - when I look at the screen, I see that Build is _always_ involved (at least to the best of my recollection)
    - the built projects : I had a case of ill-formed Xaml and believe that copy/paste of Xaml code might play a role
    - once only the 'ring' cursor was there else it was the always the 'idle' cursor
    - when I click on the taskbar or anywhere else, the system is completely unresponsive, except once : in that single instance, I could use Alt-Tab; but wanting to close VS 2012 on the taskbar resulted in 'nothing'; the other processes could be closed. However, I could not do "Windows+C" to orderly try to shutdown.

-- action in all cases
    - I unplug my battery and let the system restart
    - upon restart I had only once a File Recovery proposal screen

• Edited by ForInfo Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:11 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please see this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/237ebfb8-392f-4a58-bfe1-4a9b9629f162

This issue has already been addressed by Windows, and should not happen in the next/upcoming release. If it does, please let us know ASAP (you can email me directly at unnir at microsoft dot com).

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by ForInfo Friday, July 13, 2012 6:17 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:24 PM
  • I see this problem pretty consistently when opening a WP7 solution/project. When closing VS after opening such a solution, the whole IDE hangs, and I can't even kill it by task or process in the Task Manager. The only fix is to log out and force shutdown of it when Windows 8 reports that it's inhibiting the logout procedure

Twitter: @bc3tech

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:21 PM
  • What is next release? I am using VS RTM version. It still keeps frozen. I am very disappointed about the quality of VS 2012.  Most of time Keyword jumps  don't work if a solution contains a lot of projects. VS keeps frozen from time to time, then I have to kill it in Task manager. 

rob qqq

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:58 PM