none
.Net 3.5 In a container (Aiming to install SQL Server) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install .Net 3.5 as a prerequisite for SQL Server (2016 Preview) in a container,  but it seems to fail with the following as an error:

Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed. Error: 0x800f0922
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [I
       nstall-WindowsFeature], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_To_Enable_Updates,Microsoft.Windows.ServerM
       anager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCommand

I've also had an error suggesting that it couldn't find the file despite the path being valid.

Does anybody else have this issue?
    Is it possible that it is a bug or am I simply going about it in the wrong manner?

Cheers.
    Saturday, August 22, 2015 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Amith,

Please try The below SOLUTION!

1. Go to Control Panel/Action Center

There is a title: "Review recent messages and resolve problems"

Under that you should have some warnings. Please turned everything on.

After that you should able to install .Net 3.5 without the 0x800f0922 error code.

2. Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off.

Source & more: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782

I hope it will work.

Thanks, If my reply is helpful please mark as answer or vote as helpful.

Saturday, August 22, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am using Server core so the picture didn't help, but your link did. For some reason it seemed to prefer a network share as the source. 

I have Net3.5 Installed, but the SQL Server setup doesn't seem to recognise that fact. I've tried restarting the container and the host. (Please bare with me as I don't have much experience with Powershell; I'm more of a GUI person.)

[f2e3206b-97e]: PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Features, Net-Framework-Core

Display Name                                            Name                       Install State
    ------------                                            ----                       -------------
    [X] .NET Framework 3.5 Features                         NET-Framework-Features         Installed
        [X] .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)  NET-Framework-Core             Installed

The following error occurred:
    This computer does not have the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 installed. If the operating system is Windows Server 2008, download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22. If the operating system is Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, enable the .NET Framework 3.5 feature. A computer restart may be required after installing.

Error result: -2067921930
    Result facility code: 1214
    Result error code: 1014

Please review the summary.txt log for further details
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2016 CTP2.2 13.00.407.01

Any ideas?

Do you think I ought to I mark this question as solved and open another or keep this one open?

Many thanks.

Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:09 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am using Server core so the picture didn't help, but your link did. For some reason it seemed to prefer a network share as the source. 

I have Net3.5 Installed, but the SQL Server setup doesn't seem to recognise that fact. I've tried restarting the container and the host. (Please bare with me as I don't have much experience with Powershell; I'm more of a GUI person.)

[f2e3206b-97e]: PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Features, Net-Framework-Core

Display Name                                            Name                       Install State
    ------------                                            ----                       -------------
    [X] .NET Framework 3.5 Features                         NET-Framework-Features         Installed
        [X] .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)  NET-Framework-Core             Installed

The following error occurred:
    This computer does not have the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 installed. If the operating system is Windows Server 2008, download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22. If the operating system is Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, enable the .NET Framework 3.5 feature. A computer restart may be required after installing.

Error result: -2067921930
    Result facility code: 1214
    Result error code: 1014

Please review the summary.txt log for further details
    Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2016 CTP2.2 13.00.407.01

Any ideas?

Do you think I ought to I mark this question as solved and open another or keep this one open?

Many thanks.

Amith,

Please refer your error description and error code, it says you need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 because your system doesn't have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

Please use below link to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22

And please refer below link for your error code,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920114

Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:32 PM

• Amith,

Please refer your error description and error code, it says you need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 because your system doesn't have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

Please use below link to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22

And please refer below link for your error code,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920114

I'm pretty sure this is a container issue as I was able to install SQL server (I already installed .Net 3.5 on the host) successfully as a test on the host but in a container SQL server doesn't like it (I've done nothing different to the container setup).

As far as I am aware, SP1 is included in the Server 2016 \sources\sxs directory so it should have already been installed. That's all I needed to do when I tested it on the container host.

The command I was running:

E:\Setup.exe /Q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,Replication,FullText,Conn /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /TCPENABLED=1 /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS

I don't know why you have tried to mark your answer as solving the issue when it clearly doesn't.

Thanks again

• Edited by Amith2111 Sunday, August 23, 2015 6:34 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2015 11:39 PM
  • This is a container issue. .NET 5.0 works :)

See the Work In Progress section in the container docs for a huge list of general information and known application compatibility issues we're working on.

Monday, August 24, 2015 5:35 PM
  • This is a container issue. .NET 5.0 works :)

See the Work In Progress section in the container docs for a huge list of general information and known application compatibility issues we're working on.

Thanks a lot for confirming it is a container related issue. I was scratching my head for hours wondering why it wasn't working. I must have missed the Application compatibility page.

If it helps, when Get-WindowsFeature finally reported that .Net3.5 had been installed, I looked in the registry but nothing had actually been added.

Also, is the forum the best place for reporting bugs/issues or is there another place for reporting container related issues?

Many thanks
    • Edited by Amith2111 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Hi Aminth2111,

This forum works fine for now - we're looking at it frequently.

Hope this helps and thank you!

Lars

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:00 PM
  • Hi Kamlesh,

regarding your mentioned step 2)

"2. Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off."

I am wondering how you get to this dialog, or where you open this. On the host? Since the container does not have a UI.
    Friday, September 16, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Hi Sarah, the "Work in Progress" section seems to be gone. What is the current URL? I looked at (sorry, I cannot post links for somer reason) https://github.com/Microsoft/Virtualization-Documentation/blob/master/virtualization/windowscontainers/about/work_in_progress.md but could not find anything about .NET 3.5, but this issue seems to open in TP5, therefore I am wondering.
    Friday, September 16, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Hello M. Conradt,

Maybe the Dockerfile for .net 3.5 will help you (at least it did for me):

https://github.com/Microsoft/Virtualization-Documentation/tree/master/windows-container-samples/windowsservercore/dotnet35

Also When you enter docker search microsoft, the microsoft/dotnet35 Images work for me to pull.

For the SQL Server, if you have issues with the Windows Service to start (as I have :-)), maybe that link will help:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/677b7d12-ccdd-4086-b050-6651a3202dce/sql-server-in-container?forum=windowscontainers

there we had quite some discussion.

Greetings

Marcel

Friday, September 16, 2016 7:25 AM
  • I'm getting the same error when trying to install .NET 3.5 or ASP.NET 3.5, basically either of these commands fails:

powershell -Command "Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Features"
    powershell -Command "Install-WindowsFeature Web-Asp-Net"

Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more
    information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. Error:
    0x800f081f
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Features
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFe
       ature], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_To_Enable_Updates,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.
       AddWindowsFeatureCommand

Please note that the Host OS and the Container Image are on the same exact version

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
    OS Version:                10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393

But on the Host OS I can install both .NET 3.5 and ASP.NET 3.5; In the container if I run the same command I get that error.

• Edited by Mihai Mircea Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:17 AM more explicit
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:52 AM