none
How to send alert emails of any changes to community members?

Question

• In community site, users are joining as members. I want them to receive alert emails automatically when any changes happen to discussions list and a document library and an announcement list in it.

Please advise.

Thought of some ideas but not sure!

Create alert on discussions list and a document library and an announcement list for the community members. But how for Community members list? 

Is all the members added to SP Site Members group - when they become member? In this case, can I use SP Group to make alerts?

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi MC ROY.

You could either set alerts for users on each list or create a simple workflow that it's triggered every time an item in a list is added or changed and then send an email message to notify users of this event.
    What does "Is all the members added to SP Site Members group - when they become member?" mean? If you want to send notifications whenever users are added to a SharePoint group you have to write an event receiver for the GroupUserAdded event.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:35 PM
  • Hi MC ROY,

The users who join the Community as Members will not be added to SP Site Members group.

Check the article: 10 Key Things You Need to Know About SharePoint 2013 Community Sites

As a workaround, we can add user in members list to Site Members group, then set alert to Site Members group.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:43 AM
  • Hi,

You had mentioned that we can add user in members list to Site Members group, then set alert to Site Members group. I believe that we cannot use SP groups to set alerts!!! Alert can be set using only User IDs or AD groups. Not SP Groups. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Since members are in Community Members list, is there a better way to send emails to all users of Community members list whenever any change happens to discussion list and Documents library? I can only use JS or SP Designer.  

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:55 AM
  • Hi MC ROY,

Sorry for misleading, yes, alert can’t be set to use SP Groups.

As a workaround, you can use SharePoint Designer to create a workflow with Loop and “Call HTTP Web Service” action to get the user in members list and send emails. Here is a similar post for your reference: Send bulk e-mail with attachments to external users

https://plumsail.com/docs/workflow-actions-pack/how-to/send%20bulk%20e-mail%20with%20attachments%20to%20external%20users.html

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 5:41 AM
  • Hi MC ROY,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, April 29, 2019 1:46 AM