none
"No such interface supported"

Question

• I recently received and installed Visual Studio 2005. When I create an empty Pocket Pc 2003 (or Windows Mobile 5.0) application and try to deploy it, I get a messagebox that says "No such interface supported".

The actual .exe is there and I can copy it and run it on the device.. but it seems that the communication layer between visual studio and the device is broken.

I get the same error if I try to deply the application to the emulator. Ive tried uninstalling and re-installing ad naseum with no success.

please help!
    Taha
    Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:14 PM

Answers

• yeah i had already tried that too. I used to get a slightly different error "Interface not found" or something like that.

Well.. thanks to all who tried to help me on this. I appreciate it.. but after several days of trying to fix this, i finally decided it would be best to reinstall xp. I did and now it works.

Taha
    Friday, December 23, 2005 3:47 PM
  • I fixed this problem thanks to the Microsoft team's suggestion of reregistering the actxprxy.dll file in the Windows\System32 directory.  Now it works like a charm :)
    Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:06 PM

All replies

• I have posted this on the smartdevice forum but no one has replied there and I thought I might have better luck here.

I installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional upgrade on my machine and when I try to create an empty pocket pc 2003 or Mobile 5.0 application and I attempt to deploy I get a little MessageBox that says "No such interface supported". The .exe is generated and I can copy it to the device manually.. but it appears theres some issue with the connection between the PC and the device.

I get the same error if i try to deploy to the emulator.
    help!
    Taha
    Friday, December 16, 2005 9:13 PM
  • My first question is that did you have Beta 2 or aprevious CTP / RC installed on the same machine ?

Amit

Saturday, December 17, 2005 2:11 AM

• I installed some of the express versions i downloaded from ms on the machine but promptly uninstalled them when i found out the windows mobile 5.0 sdk wont work with the express versions of visual studio

Taha
    Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:50 PM
  • Try running devenv /ResetSettings .
    Monday, December 19, 2005 11:34 AM

• Uninstalled vs 2005 and reinstalled and then ran devenv /ResetSettings

still no luck

Should I uninstall visual studio 2003 after I install visual studio 2005 ? Does this make a difference at all ?

Taha
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:17 PM

• I uninstalled vs 2003 off my machine and that didnt solve the problem. However, I installed a trial version of visual studio 2005 on a clean machine and it works. So now im pretty much resigned to the fact that i probably need to re-install windows xp in order to get vs 2005 to work.

is there anything I need to keep in mind for vs 2005 if im going to reinstall xp ?
    Taha
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:28 PM
  • This post should be of help http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=104023&SiteID=1 and you should not have to un-install XP to get this to work. First pls Try the un-install posted here http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:36 PM

• I tried the posted uninstall (i had already tried it actually) and it gets a few seconds in and then gives me this message

"Tool failed to uninstall some components. Please verify that you have full administrative priveleges, reboot your machine and try to run this tool again."

I had was logged in as the administrator
    Taha

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:54 PM
  • I heard from someone who also ran into this issue. What they did was instead of Deploy, they once selected the connect to device option from the toolbar. That apparently fixed this issue.

Amit

Friday, December 23, 2005 12:05 AM

• yeah i had already tried that too. I used to get a slightly different error "Interface not found" or something like that.

Well.. thanks to all who tried to help me on this. I appreciate it.. but after several days of trying to fix this, i finally decided it would be best to reinstall xp. I did and now it works.

Taha
    Friday, December 23, 2005 3:47 PM
  • Hi, While I am glad things are working, I wish we could have done it without having you go through the hassle of re-installing XP.

Amit Chopra

Friday, December 23, 2005 5:54 PM
  • Hi, I am having the exact same problem, but this is with the release version of Team Suite, no beta 2005 installations on this computer (though I do have VS2003).  When I try tools->connect to device I get a "Interface Not Registered" error, otherwise my errors are exactly the same.  I noticed this patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0E05817F-08D6-48A2-A572-CF77ED72C5BE&displaylang=en  was recommended on another board, but it doesn't go anywhere now.  Does anyone have the updated link?  Or any ideas?  My installation completed without a hitch, and I installed ActiveSync, then the 5.0 smartphone and pocket pc emulators.  Since I know my problem has nothing to do with beta conflicts I assume I am just missing some software.  I disabled all of my anti-virus stuff during installation to prevent it from blocking any scripts. I think this covers all the bases, but if there is anything I left out let me know.  Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, September 06, 2006 4:19 AM
  • I fixed this problem thanks to the Microsoft team's suggestion of reregistering the actxprxy.dll file in the Windows\System32 directory.  Now it works like a charm :)
    Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:06 PM
  • Yes this helps me a LOT too!
    However, I  do not know why it wasn't anymore for me....I suspect it can come from the last .NET framework 3 but I'm really not sure.
    Anyway it works again! Thanks!!
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:41 PM
  • Hi.

After searching the web for this problem (by simply typing the error message i get), i have come to the suggestion of registering the files actxprxy.dll and shdocvw.dll.

Unfortunately, after the suggested restart, the problem was not solved and i still get this error message every time i try to open a customized popup window.

i also saw some reference to VS 2003/5 and in my case i cannot uninstall either one of them, so that's something i am not trying in order to solve the problem at hand.

please assist me on this, as this error message interrupts my work (web developer).

Thank you in advance.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

I tried everything listed here and elsewhere (except reinstalling Win XP). Nothing worked for me. Finally I followed the instructions listed here and it worked!

http://techemployee.blogspot.com/2009/06/visual-studio-2008-problems-deploying.html

Note: Native applications were throwing a different error: "Catastrophic failure" and "Unable to start debugging"
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:04 PM