Application Metadata Error using Get this Version from TFS - VS 2013 SP 1 - Lightswitch RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a Application Metadata error after having a crash problem with a Query that loose the Source entity/query.

After opening a query and just showing it's Sources option the UI remove the original source and make the application crash because the missing Source in that Query, I try to select again the same Source it has but the Drop Down is disabled.

To reproduce the crash follow this steps:

1 - Create an Entity

2- Define a Query

3- Define a Screen based on the Query

4- Bellow the Entity select and edit the query with the Screen created open

5- Select the drop down from the top right of the screen named Source (don't change it just show it)

6- Go back to the screen or close the query

You will see that the screen throw an error and the query even if you reopen it, it wont let you change the source option

After this crash I try to get the last version of the project from TFS and now I have an error about Application Metadata have been modified out side the designer..... I think that if I have a version from other date it will replace all the files and changes that I did not Check In to TFS, please help me... this is a huge project and this is stoping me to finish the final modifications.

Thanks in advance for your time an coments...

Application Metadata Error

Alexander Matos

• Edited by DIGEPEP Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:47 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:01 AM

Answers

• I am sure that we can repair the project for you. It would be best to revert to a backup or to a copy of the project immediately after the problem (you did take a backup copy?).

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Marked as answer by DIGEPEP Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:08 AM
  • If you can provide a zip of the project I will take a look and see if I can clean it up. If you can do a clean get latest from tfs to another folder and zip that then we can see if the sticking point is something that is not controlled by tfs.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Edited by Xpert360 Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:49 PM remove email
    • Marked as answer by DIGEPEP Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:07 PM

All replies

• Another observation is that VS 2013 did not compile the project, it just stay with the Animation of compilation in progress....

Alexander Matos

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:04 AM
  • Today I tried to repair some files that are different from the version I'm triying to put to work, but all the efforts went wrong.

Please if some one has something to say.... I need some guidance... Internet search for the topic is not showing up either....

Alexander Matos

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:57 AM
  • I am sure that we can repair the project for you. It would be best to revert to a backup or to a copy of the project immediately after the problem (you did take a backup copy?).

• Marked as answer by DIGEPEP Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:08 AM
  • All the versions are on TFS and no physical "hard copies" were ever made outside the TFS server.

Alexander Matos

• Edited by DIGEPEP Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Did you mean to send a zip file with the source of my project?

Alexander Matos

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:18 PM
  • Any version I choose reflect the same error "How is this possible?", can you help me with this issue, send me an email to attach the project...

Alexander Matos

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:44 PM
  • If you can provide a zip of the project I will take a look and see if I can clean it up. If you can do a clean get latest from tfs to another folder and zip that then we can see if the sticking point is something that is not controlled by tfs.

Dave

• Edited by Xpert360 Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:49 PM remove email
    • Marked as answer by DIGEPEP Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Awesome help, the project builds and is fully functional again, thanks a lot for your help!... The Lightswitch Team should take a closer look of this issue to prevent that TFS screw up the project file this way.

Alexander Matos

Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:35 PM
  • So, I have the same problem. Can you tell us what you did to "clean up the project"? Thanks.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:50 PM
  • So what was the solution? This has happened to me twice in 3 days! I had to start from scratch and then it happened again! Kindly let us know how you fixed this issue.
    Monday, April 6, 2015 8:40 PM
  • @bobtrowe

I never received an answer either, but in my case, it was a  case where I had a screen with a query and filter, but the database had changed (a key had changed). The screen query never picked up on this.

So I revisited the queries on each of my screens and looked carefully at the queries looking for bogus (or missing fields). This resolved my problem.

I am much more cautious now with doing full saves when I get a working copy.

If MS decides to do anything with LS, they should put a high priority on building a checking/correction tool for the LSML interdependencies, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:21 PM