Windows Live - Database Integration RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating a database that will be integrating with the Windows Live ID. I was wondering how secure is the unique ID for each Windows Live account. Is it possible to see the unique ID of a user without being logged in to Windows Live? If it is possbile, what is a better, more secure way to create a password with Windows Live?

Thanks

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:19 AM

Answers

• Windows Live ID and Live Connect use several unique identifiers, both internally and publicly available, for users. I'm not sure which of these you're specifically hoping to access. From a publicly-available perspective, for example, you can use the Live Connect APIs to get a user ID, which currently has a format of something like this: 8c8ce076ca27823e. To get at these IDs, you must first sign in to Windows Live, as you'll need Live Connect to give you an access token which is required to get at this type of info.

If I'm reading your last question correctly, then no; I'm not aware of any supported way of creating a Windows Live user’s password that from within Windows Live itself.

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:42 PM

All replies

• Windows Live ID and Live Connect use several unique identifiers, both internally and publicly available, for users. I'm not sure which of these you're specifically hoping to access. From a publicly-available perspective, for example, you can use the Live Connect APIs to get a user ID, which currently has a format of something like this: 8c8ce076ca27823e. To get at these IDs, you must first sign in to Windows Live, as you'll need Live Connect to give you an access token which is required to get at this type of info.

If I'm reading your last question correctly, then no; I'm not aware of any supported way of creating a Windows Live user’s password that from within Windows Live itself.

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Thank you Paul, that is exactly what I needed to know. My last question was only if the user ID could be retrieved without a login.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:06 AM
  • Thank you Paul, that is exactly what I needed to know. My last question was only if the user ID could be retrieved without a login.

Depends on what unique ID you're talking about. There is a public unique ID for a user which can be retrieved by anyone. You can see mine in the URL to my profile at http://profile.live.com/cid-616444ee7a34f417/. This is different from the unique ID I see on http://account.live.com, neither of which have anything to do with password security and Windows Live. 

It would be helpful if you gave more information about what you're trying to do so we can provide appropriate guidance in your quest. 

Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:38 PM