VS2008 to VS2010 for .net 3.5 app with MSTest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're in the process of upgrading from VS2008 to VS2010 since it's now released. We are using CC.NET along with MSTest and want to use MS coverage tool instead of NCover. Interestingly, as I've seen others talking about as well, when you upgrade your project from VS2008 to VS2010 your Test Projects get converted to .NET 4. Nice move!! So what does one do with their CI environment in order to build this stuff (some projects in .net 3.5, some in .net 4 - these are different FRAMEWORKS!) LOL!!!

It seems that I might need to have my CC.NET build two separate projects? - not sure about how to run the units tests from cruise with .net 4.

Has anyone done this and have a snippet of their config they might share? And I thought this was going to be a simple thing that I needed to get done this weekend so I don't stop the entire team of developers on Monday. :(

thanks!

Bill44077

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As I do not much about CC.NET, etc. Usually while upgradeing Test Project to VS2010, it will be forced to target at .net framework 4.0. As .net 3.5 and .net 4.0 has different CLR as base that mstest.exe also differs. You could still work the same project before, but make sure that they all fit the new structure of .net framework, if not, you are required to modify them.

You could also post here so you can get better and quicker response as there should be more experts on CC.NET.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 9:39 AM
  • If I were you, I would not think about it deeply. I will do the following things:

1. Find another manchine to install VSTS 2010 first and some software per your request.

2 . Upgrade your project from VSTS 2008 to VSTS 2010.To see if it can be upgraded quickly.

4.  Some project references may be missing. You can also see if CC.NET supports VSTS 2010 project well. :)

Ray
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As I do not much about CC.NET, etc. Usually while upgradeing Test Project to VS2010, it will be forced to target at .net framework 4.0. As .net 3.5 and .net 4.0 has different CLR as base that mstest.exe also differs. You could still work the same project before, but make sure that they all fit the new structure of .net framework, if not, you are required to modify them.

You could also post here so you can get better and quicker response as there should be more experts on CC.NET.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 9:39 AM
  • If I were you, I would not think about it deeply. I will do the following things:

1. Find another manchine to install VSTS 2010 first and some software per your request.

2 . Upgrade your project from VSTS 2008 to VSTS 2010.To see if it can be upgraded quickly.

4.  Some project references may be missing. You can also see if CC.NET supports VSTS 2010 project well. :)

Ray
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hello,

Is your issue resolved?

Edwer Fang [MSFT]

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hello,

I will mark the reply as answer, if you find it no help, you can feel free to unmark it.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Hi Edwer - sorry, I was out of town but I did solve the problem. I needed to point to VS2010 and the Framework 4 in my files and it does compile the 3.5 projects correctly. I ahven't gotten the MSTest and coverage set up yet and that will be the next step. Thanks!!
    Friday, May 28, 2010 11:03 AM