No Symbols loaded RRS feed

• Question

• User-1160377615 posted

Hi All

I have a web project running under vs2015 - none of my breakpoints are working:-

So far I have:-

1) checked Optimised Code isn't enabled

2) deleted obj/bin folder - cleaned each project and rebuild solution.

3) made sure "Enable Just My Code" is not checked.

Please help and advise......

Thanks

Akshay

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:05 PM

Answers

• User-2057865890 posted

Hi akshay144,

You could refer to Understanding symbol files and Visual Studio’s symbol settings. The debugger can tell you why it didn’t load symbols and where it searched for them.

Some common reasons symbols aren’t loaded include:

• Symbol paths don’t point to the correct location
    • The symbol file is from a different version of the module than the one loaded in the process
    • Visual Studio requires that the symbol file come from the exact same build as the module. It cannot load symbols that come from a different build even if the source code was identical
    • [Managed only] Just My Code settings prevent the debugger from loading the symbol file

Best Regards,

Chris

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:01 AM

All replies

• User-2057865890 posted

Hi akshay144,

If you are using IIS Express, consider uninstalling and re-installing it. Besides, take a look at BreakPoints Are Not Working in Visual Studio.

Best Regards,

Chris

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:18 AM
  • User-1160377615 posted

Hi akshay144,

If you are using IIS Express, consider uninstalling and re-installing it. Besides, take a look at BreakPoints Are Not Working in Visual Studio.

Best Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

I am using IIS Express - will unistall and re-install and advise of outcome..watch this space

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:31 AM
  • User-2057865890 posted

Hi akshay144,

You could refer to Understanding symbol files and Visual Studio’s symbol settings. The debugger can tell you why it didn’t load symbols and where it searched for them.

Some common reasons symbols aren’t loaded include:

• Symbol paths don’t point to the correct location
    • The symbol file is from a different version of the module than the one loaded in the process
    • Visual Studio requires that the symbol file come from the exact same build as the module. It cannot load symbols that come from a different build even if the source code was identical
    • [Managed only] Just My Code settings prevent the debugger from loading the symbol file

Best Regards,

Chris

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:01 AM