Trouble getting Club site to work on hosts server. RRS feed

• Question

• User1609833703 posted
    I am completely lost at this point, I can't seem to get the database for the "Club site starter kit" to function on my hosts server, but it works great locally.
    I can view my site on the remote server but cannot add members (or add anything for that matter), I receive the following exception:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to update database "d:\inetpub\mywebsite\app_data\aspnetdb.mdf" because the database is read-only.

I have created a database on the hosts sql server, but have no idea how to make the site connect to it instead of the local copies of the "clubsite.mdf and aspnetdb.mdf"
    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Fleck

Friday, June 3, 2005 6:29 PM

All replies

• User1416329745 posted
    It may be permissions related try the solution in this post.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/941457/ShowPost.aspx
    Friday, June 3, 2005 6:59 PM
  • User1609833703 posted
    Thaks for the idea, I checked ou the post and tried it, but alas... no luck.

yet

Friday, June 3, 2005 7:16 PM
  • User-1653776603 posted
    You'll need to change the connection string in web.config to the one for your server's database. Your hoster should provide that connection string for you.

Sam
    Tuesday, June 7, 2005 9:37 PM
  • User-1709345020 posted
    I am having the exact same problem.  The web config has this which does not have explicit information about the server, etc. :

<connectionStrings>
      <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|clubsite.mdf;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
      <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
      <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
     </connectionStrings>

All this stuff is generated when the site is created and the databases are created in the admin.  The connection seems to be fine in the development environment but when run straight from a browser it throws this error.

Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\COMMUNITY\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only.

I have spent allot of time attempting to give rights to aspnet and the anonymous user etc., but nothing has seemed to help.  I do know of any tools to grant rights from the SQL 2005 express database.  

If you know what should be in these attributes to resolve this error please let me know.

Thanks

Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:21 AM