none
How to find cause of increased Azure SQL database costs RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Azure SQL serverless database running, which over the last weekend had significantly increased costs (>$10/day vs normal <$1/day). Looking at the metrics in the Azure portal, I can't find any performance metric which indicates increased activity for the corresponding period. So how do I track down the cause of these unexpected costs?
    Monday, September 9, 2019 7:37 AM

All replies

• We have an Azure SQL serverless database running, which over the last weekend had significantly increased costs (>$10/day vs normal <$1/day). Looking at the metrics in the Azure portal, I can't find any performance metric which indicates increased activity for the corresponding period. So how do I track down the cause of these unexpected costs?

Hi,

Check if the following document help you:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-monitor-tune-overview

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Monday, September 9, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hi there,

as you know, using the Serverless compute tier, you have a vary of vCores used, execution time and memory used. So during that weekend, did you have differences on the operations against the DB? If not, then did you have an increase in terms of nro of operations? All of these would be factors to the cost.

"CPU used and memory used can vary over time with per-second granularity, so you may want to repeat this calculation for different durations with different resource usage. Additional savings available via auto-pause. See documentation for details."

Monday, September 9, 2019 12:52 PM