Manage ProgressBar from a DownloadClass RRS feed

• Question

• I have a ProgressBar in my MainPage.xaml:

<ProgressBar HorizontalAlignment="Center"
                     Height="90" Margin="0,-30,0,0" 
                     VerticalAlignment="Center" 
                     Width="600" x:Name="BarProgress" />

And then in MainPage.xaml.cs there is the code for downloading data:

public async Task Download(string fileName, string fileId)
    private async Task HandleDownloadAsync(DownloadOperation download, bool start)
    private async Task DiscoverActiveDownloadsAsync()
    private void DownloadProgress(DownloadOperation download)
            {            
                double percent = 100;
                if (download.Progress.TotalBytesToReceive > 0)
                {
                    percent = download.Progress.BytesReceived * 100 / download.Progress.TotalBytesToReceive;
                }

BarProgress.Value = percent;                        
            }

And it works great! I can see the ProgressBar proceeds until the download ends!

But if i want to create a new class such as DownloadData.cs and then put inside all the code for downloading data, how can i invoke the BarProgress.Value?!? I've done a lot of tentatives, such as MainPage.BarProgress.Value = percent, but i receive a lot of errors because BarProgress is inaccesible...

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Jackie,

Take a look at this sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Basic-Controls-29318599.The second scenario is talking about ProgressBar, and the value is binding to a SliderBar.

Your code can be used to set the value for progressbar, check what is the maximum of your progressbar, if max is 100, but you set a percentage value to it, surely you will see nothing.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 30, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi Jackie,

A tutorial for you to know the data binding stuff: Quickstart: Data binding to controls.

More data binding samples can be found here: XAML data binding sample.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi JackieLeManchic,

ProgressBar.Value is inaccessiable? The Value property of ProgressBar.Value should be both readable and writable. Maybe you could try to binding a value instead of set a value.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 4:08 AM
  • Hi James, thank you for your answer...how can i access the ProgressBar from a generic class? MainPage.BarProgress.Value = percent, is it the right way?!

Could you provide a simple example for binding that value?!?

Thank you in advance!

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hi Jackie,

Take a look at this sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Basic-Controls-29318599.The second scenario is talking about ProgressBar, and the value is binding to a SliderBar.

Your code can be used to set the value for progressbar, check what is the maximum of your progressbar, if max is 100, but you set a percentage value to it, surely you will see nothing.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 8:10 AM
  • James, i've seen the example you suggested me and it's very interesting!

The value property of the ProgressBar is changed at RunTime through a Slider element. But if i try to Bind the value of the progress bar in my DownloadData.cs class i'm not able...Do you know some other example for binding data at runtime?

I already use Binding data but for static resource...here instead the value of the progress bar change at runtime and here starts the headache!!!

Monday, September 30, 2013 10:03 AM
  • Hi Jackie,

A tutorial for you to know the data binding stuff: Quickstart: Data binding to controls.

More data binding samples can be found here: XAML data binding sample.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:32 AM