none
.NET Framework 4 update problem; After troubleshooting i dont have more ideas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

At first you should know that iam from germany and my english isnt that good.
    But i will try my best.

Some weeks ago, the automatic Windows Update tried to update my Microsoft Framework.
    A few secounds later an error occured. It said "Errorcode 643".

I used google to search for the problem and someone gave me the advise to delete it with a Framework clean-up Tool.

Everthing worked perfectly till I tried to install Microsoft Framelwork 4.

I got the new Version from http://www.microsoft.com/germany/net/net-framework-4.aspx

Iam using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

The installer brought me the following error:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = D:\7cbefd9b7196dd8b4f8fcf975d\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Mitteleuropäische Zeit
    Initial LCID = 1031
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 9
    Exe (D:\7cbefd9b7196dd8b4f8fcf975d\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (D:\7cbefd9b7196dd8b4f8fcf975d\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (D:\7cbefd9b7196dd8b4f8fcf975d\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_20120223_092353929-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    MSI (D:\7cbefd9b7196dd8b4f8fcf975d\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_20120223_092353929-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Schwerwiegender Fehler bei der Installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:43).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I postet my problem in a forum and they gave my many advises.
    But nothing worked.
    Here you can see the troubleshooting I´ve done till now

There is also a checkSUR.log and a CBS.log included.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please read and follow Alexander Sun's and irarab's posts in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/147e0599-0c47-4a96-88a0-7f87861c0052

Saturday, March 3, 2012 5:40 PM
  • I´ve tried both ways but sadly they didnt work.

Full log

Following error message occurs:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Mitteleuropäische Zeit
    Initial LCID = 1031
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120303_194546162-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    MSI (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120303_194546162-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Schwerwiegender Fehler bei der Installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:46).

• Edited by headlaker Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:59 PM
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:52 PM
  • It appears that you are using the web installer. Please follow this procedure exactly, then share complete logs with us as instructed if the install fails:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Collect your full install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Hello pvdg42,

thank you very much for your help.

Sadly it hasnt worked for me.

I uploaded the vslogs.cab for you.

I hope that it will help.

vslogs.cab

Monday, March 5, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Perhaps I misunderstood your problem.

I cannot find an install log for .NET Framework 4.0 in your vslogs. Do you currently have 4.0 installed? If you do, please use this tool to verify the installation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

The first ~15 lines of tool output will show which .NET Frameworks are installed, and the last ~`5 lines show the verification results for the selected .NET Framework.

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:48 PM
  • No I´ve deleted .NET Framework.

I did this some weeks ago cause i read on the internet that the installation should work than.

I removed it with a clean up too from microsoft.

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:08 PM
  • In that case, I have to ask you to repeat these steps:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

Collect your full install logs as follows:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:13 PM
  • I repeated your steps.

Here is the new .cab file

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:58 PM
  • The core issue is here:

"INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Der Schlüssel HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{F5B09CFD-F0B2-36AF-8DF4-1DF6B63FC7B4} konnte nicht geöffnet werden. Stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie ausreichende Zugriffsrechte für diesen Schlüssel besitzen, oder wenden Sie sich an den Support.]"

Google Translate tells me "could not be opened. Make sure you have sufficient access to that key, or contact us for support" in reference to the registry key in the original message. That usually means the user account used for the install does not have the need administrative permissions. Did you run the install from an administrator account "As Administrator"?

In Windows 7, just using an account with administrative rights is often not enough. You need to right click on the installer file, then select Run As Administrator. I apologize for not being explicit about that previously.

Monday, March 5, 2012 10:45 PM
  • The problem is that i tried it both ways.

If I run it as Administrator the same error occurs.

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:55 PM
  • If that is the case, you may have a registry issue in your Windows 7.

I think you may get better help if you post the details of the access problem in the Microsoft Answers forums for Windows 7:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security

• Proposed as answer by Barry WangModerator Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by headlaker Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Stop palming this issue off to someone else and provide a positive response. .Net framework issues are notorious and the best advice is simply to avoid all future updates until the code is corrected, as it should have been a long time ago.
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:48 AM
  • 01 Please see this link for the vslog, shared in SkyDrive

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=F49E3B2C4D47B8D4&id=F49E3B2C4D47B8D4%21426

Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:41 PM
  • For best results, please start a new thread for your issue.

Posting to this old, answered thread ensures that very few readers here will see your post.

In your log from the failed .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile install, here is the issue and what you need to do:

"Failed to verify and authenticate the file -C:\bf59d421eb0051e04bad9620572e5cc3\SetupUtility.exe
    [5/20/2012, 20:31:58]Please delete the file, C:\bf59d421eb0051e04bad9620572e5cc3\SetupUtility.exe and run the package again"

I recommend you follow these steps:

Follow these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24872

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

• Proposed as answer by Fasil CV Monday, May 21, 2012 7:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Fasil CV Monday, May 21, 2012 7:01 PM
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Same I cannot update and install, I tried by you last answer, could you please help me for this?

Vslog is  attached in SkyDrive

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=F49E3B2C4D47B8D4&id=F49E3B2C4D47B8D4%21429

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Here is your issue:

"Failed to verify and authenticate the file -C:\c7ab1be59aaf5b8ef40b6175c88a69f4\SetupUtility.exe
    [5/20/2012, 22:28:53]Please delete the file, C:\c7ab1be59aaf5b8ef40b6175c88a69f4\SetupUtility.exe and run the package again"

Your vslogs included at least 10 install attempts, indicating that you are NOT following the steps in my earlier reply in this thread (one of which instructs you to clear your %temp% directory before attempting the install).

Follow these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24872

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

Monday, May 21, 2012 10:46 PM
  • hi,

Is it require to delete all users temp folder file or only which I login in the admin? Because I’m using multiple user (1-admin user 3-standard user.) also disabled the administrator (building account, for that I’m using admin this is privilege of admin)

Last time I tried the same, in administrator > run the command; delete the temp entire file and folders > disable the antivirus (Symantec endpoint protection ) after I try the installation.

During the command running on cmd its stopping several times ?

• Edited by Fasil CV Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:36 AM
  • You need to clear out the %temp% directory associated with the administrator user account you are going to use for the install.

Click the Start Orb. Type %temp% in the Search Box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:58 PM
  • The same error massage I'm getting again. The “vslogs” attached in the SkyDrive. Also attached 4Nos capture of error during installation.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=F49E3B2C4D47B8D4&id=F49E3B2C4D47B8D4%21432

Capture1             : This error during command running

Capture2             : This error when try to install the .NET F4 standalone

Capture3             : System automatic updating failed list  

Capture4             : After automatic updating getting this type of error

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:38 AM
  • "File SetupUtility.exe (C:\30ee419f4df799328f\SetupUtility.exe), failed authentication. (Error = -2146762486). It is recommended that you delete this file and retry setup again.
    [5/22/2012, 22:47:14]Failed to verify and authenticate the file -C:\30ee419f4df799328f\SetupUtility.exe
    [5/22/2012, 22:47:14]Please delete the file, C:\30ee419f4df799328f\SetupUtility.exe and run the package again"

Download using a different computer/internet connection.

If the install still fails for the same reason, repair the OS.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Thanks, I think need to be repair the OS, but I’m using multiple OS (Windows 7 ULT, Windows server 2008 R2 testing lab and Linux for testing.)

Is it sure to work the other OS, after repairing the Windows 7?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:42 PM
  • It *should* work on a fresh OS.

As I'm sure you understand, nobody can quarantee software will install with no issues.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:30 PM