none
How do I attach a contigous 8TB drive and have a fixed drive letter in a VM?

Question

• I have created the correct VM configuration that allows for up to 8TB. I can see you can create a blob of max size 1024 GB, I would think then you need to create 8 x 1024 GB individual blob storage files. Does this make sense?

My question then is how do you create a contiguous 8 TB drive that has a fixed drive letter in a VM?

Potentially using storage manager etc?

It does not seem obvious or am I missing something.

thx

Anthony

Monday, October 19, 2015 1:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There are two methods to make aggregation of your disks:

- Using the spanned disk option directly from the Storage Manager (If you are using Windows 2008 R2)

- Or using the recommended option, which is the Storage Spaces. The following is the script of how to create an continuous 8 disks volume upon a Storage Spaces pool (Windows Server 2012 and later)

The following is the script i use to create an 8 disks storage pool and Vdisk

Import-Module Storage
    # Get the disks which support pooling
    $Disks = Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $true
    Write-Output "List of disks with CanPool True"
    $Disks
    $DiskCount = $Disks.count
    Write-Output "Starting D8"
    $SPFriendlyName = "POOL8" 
    $VDFriendlyName = "VD8" 

Write-Output "Getting Storage Subsystem"

$s = Get-StorageSubSystem -FriendlyName *Spaces*

Write-Output "Getting Physical Disk"

#If your disks are not continous, you can get their names and replace each disk name here by the real name
    $Disks = Get-PhysicalDisk  -FriendlyName $DisksNames.get(0),$DisksNames.get(1),$DisksNames.get(2),$DisksNames.get(3),$DisksNames.get(4),$DisksNames.get(5),$DisksNames.get(6),$DisksNames.get(7)  

Write-Output "Creating Storage Pool"

$StoragePool = New-StoragePool -FriendlyName $SPFriendlyName -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName $s.FriendlyName -PhysicalDisks $Disks

Write-Output "Creating  Virtual Disk"

New-VirtualDisk –FriendlyName $VDFriendlyName -ResiliencySettingName Simple –NumberOfColumns $Disks.Count –UseMaximumSize –Interleave 256KB -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePool.FriendlyName

Write-Output "Getting Virtual Disk"

$VD = Get-VirtualDisk –FriendlyName $VDFriendlyName

Write-Output "Initialzing the Disk"

Initialize-Disk -VirtualDisk $VD -PartitionStyle GPT 

Write-Output "Creating the Partition"

New-Partition -DiskId $VD.UniqueId -DriveLetter E –UseMaximumSize

Write-Output "Formating the Volume"

Format-Volume -DriveLetter E  -NewFileSystemLabel E -FileSystem NTFS -Force -Confirm:$false

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com buildwindows.wordpress.com </a>

Monday, October 19, 2015 9:53 AM