Trying to target a 2.0 framework RRS feed

• Question

• User1733710723 posted

I've run into this error twice now and the first time it cost me $799 because I was tolled to purchased Visual Studio 2008 so I could 2.0... I'm working on my first ASP.NET application so a lot about register assembly, dll's and the differences between 2.0 and 3.5 escapes me. 

I think when I dropped a few hidden controls onto my page a line was added to the top of the page:

<% Register assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf856ad364e35" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" tagprefix="asp" %>

How can I fix this for 2.0 framework? I did some searching and found a lot about ajax where users were having issues with the following line

<% Register assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf856ad364e35" namespace="System.Web.UI" tagprefix="asp" %>

It's almost the same line but replacing it doesn't work.... Do I need to install a DLL? Where/how do I get that? How do I stop the IDE from adding lines like this again?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:49 AM

Answers

• User-1853252149 posted

Right click your solution, choose Property Pages, then the Build menu and set the target to 2.0.  Rebuild the solution and you should clear everything up.  I'm sorry to tell you that Visual Web Developer 2008 would probably have worked for a lot less money.

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:10 AM

All replies

• User1733710723 posted

Why are these lines being added in? When does it happen? I started over with a blank page and rebuilt it adding each control hoping to catch why this happens. My new page now works just like its predecessor but the line never appeared this time and my code now works on the deployment test server. How can I keep this from happening? or at least be alerted to it?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:34 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Right click your solution, choose Property Pages, then the Build menu and set the target to 2.0.  Rebuild the solution and you should clear everything up.  I'm sorry to tell you that Visual Web Developer 2008 would probably have worked for a lot less money.

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:10 AM
  • User-1363174918 posted

.NET 2.0 does not include AJAX. If you want to target 2.0 and yet use AJAX, you need to doanload and install ASP.NET AJAX Extensions 1.0 and AjaxControlToolkit 1.0. Basically there are two possible combo:

1. .NET 2.0 + AJAX Extensions 1.0 + Ajax Toolkit 1.0

2. .NET 3.5 + AjaxToolkit 3.5

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:27 AM
  • User1733710723 posted

I'm sorry to tell you that Visual Web Developer 2008 would probably have worked for a lot less money.

Ya I started out with the free Visual Web Developer 2008 and was not convinced that I needed Visual Studio 2008 Professional but when I had all the issues with trying to develop for a clients server still running 2.0 it was suggested to me that I would need the professional edition. Because I'm new to Microsoft technology I just don't know the difference and I guess ignorance will cost me!

I've developed PHP and ColdFusion apps for over ten years so ASP controls are completely foreign to me. Trying to get up to a professional level fast with .NET has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life! Thank God the C# side of .NET is familiar.

Now if I can learn how to control my HTML source and use client side events and programming with ASP controls I'll  be a happy camper.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:21 PM