Windows 7 Embedded Standard SP1 unable to join domain (ENG+DE) RRS feed

• Question

• sup folks

I've created an answer file with the image configuration editor and deployed it on one of my shuttle thin clients. For some reason I am unable to join a domain. The option is just not available, it's greyed out. If it is a feature pack, I can not find it. I've also tried to join a domain with a .vbs script and with the power shell.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Regards

Hallo 

Ich habe mit dem Image Configuration Editor eine Antwortdatei erstellt und auf einem Shuttle Thinclient ausgerollt. Aus irgendeinem Grund kann ich aber keiner Domäne beitreten. Die Option lässt sich nicht anklicken, sie ist ausgegraut. Falls das ein Feature Pack ist das man  noch hinzufügen muss, habe ich es beim durchsuchen nicht gefunden. Ich habe auch mit einem .vbs skript und der power shell versucht einer Domäne beizutreten, ohne Erfolg.

Kann mir hier jemand helfen?

LG

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:41 PM

Answers

• Have you added some Kind of SKU Feature (implemented since SP1)
    SKUs can prohibet Domain Participents.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Marked as answer by GutschalkD Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:50 PM

All replies

• Did you and the Domain Services package to the answer file?

Is network connectivity working properly?

If the Domain Services package is in the image, can you build an image using Application compatibility template and try to connect to the domain? If the full image works and the smaller one doesn't there must be some other package missing. Answer file Diff tool can help locate the missing package - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/afdiff

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, June 17, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Dear Sean,

Thank you for looking into this further.

Domain Services package is in the answer file. Network connection seems to work properly, I can use my domain controller as DNS, ping my domain etc.

I've donwloaded and Application compatibility template for RDP 8 and added the required components. After the installation I was able to join the domain just fine.

Comparing this new answer file with my old one shows me that I have all the things in my old one that are in the new one. This indicates that I have a package that makes a problem but I couldn't find out which one it is yet. Do you have any experience with this?

Or anyone else?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:36 PM
  • The only thing that comes to mind - Did you download updates via WEDU and apply them?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:19 PM
  • No I haven't downloaded any updates via WEDU yet.

I took the old SP0 answer file from my colleague and added all the features one by one to the new SP1 file and made it working. We would have liked something from scratch but this way it works as well.

If you are interessted in this I have uploaded the difference between the "selfmade" answer file and the one transfered from my colleague to pastebin

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Have you added some Kind of SKU Feature (implemented since SP1)
    SKUs can prohibet Domain Participents.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Marked as answer by GutschalkD Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:50 PM
  • I had all of them in my answer file..reading a little bit deeper than before, this makes zero sense.

Thank you both for helping me out on this one!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:31 PM