none
Cannot add new item (source file) to project - VS2015 Update 2

Question

• As the title says. When I try to add a new item either to a new project or an existing one, the Add New Item dialog is empty. No C++ entry on the left, nothing in the central panel and the Add button is greyed out.

The only change on my computer since last time things worked normally is a Windows update two nights ago. And of course this has to happen when I'm in a hurry and it's the weekend >:(

Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Garp,

Thanks for your post.

First make sure you have installed the C++ package.

Please try to run your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

If still no help, I suppose there might be something wrong with your C++ template.

I suggest you could try to restore your template.

1. Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE)

2. In the command prompt, navigate to the location of devenv.exe. This file is located in <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE.

3. Type "devenv /installvstemplates" and press Enter.

If after restoring the template, still has the same problem. In this case, I think there is something wrong with your VS now, try to repair it then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, April 18, 2016 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Garp,

Thanks for your post.

First make sure you have installed the C++ package.

Please try to run your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

If still no help, I suppose there might be something wrong with your C++ template.

I suggest you could try to restore your template.

1. Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE)

2. In the command prompt, navigate to the location of devenv.exe. This file is located in <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE.

3. Type "devenv /installvstemplates" and press Enter.

If after restoring the template, still has the same problem. In this case, I think there is something wrong with your VS now, try to repair it then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, April 18, 2016 5:31 AM
  • I am having the same problem also, but I am repairing my VS program right now. Hopefully, it will be fixed.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:00 AM