Not showing Obsolete within WebApi2 help page RRS feed

• Question

• User-1608281605 posted

Is there a way to have the help created from the XML documentation to not show items tagged with the Obsolete attribute?

Or at least have them display that they're obsolete?

thanks - dave

Friday, May 8, 2020 7:41 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

david@windward.net

Is there a way to have the help created from the XML documentation to not show items tagged with the Obsolete attribute?

Or at least have them display that they're obsolete?

thanks - dave

You can place whatever you like int the comments but the obsolete attribute is the standard.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.obsoleteattribute?view=netcore-3.1

Friday, May 8, 2020 8:50 PM
  • User-1608281605 posted

That's what I did, but it's not having any impact - see below source code and then displayed help.

Is there some setting I need to make? Preferably to not show obsolete URLs and model members?

??? - thanks - dave

Saturday, May 9, 2020 7:32 PM
  • User-1084200161 posted

Would this help:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-api/overview/getting-started-with-aspnet-web-api/creating-api-help-pages#under-the-hood

It says:  'To hide an API from the ApiExplorer, add the ApiExplorerSettings attribute to the action and set IgnoreApi to true."

Friday, May 22, 2020 3:34 PM
  • User-1608281605 posted

Hi;

That mostly works. It removes an API. For an API, setting it for a model class property removes it from the Body Parameters. However, in the sample formats, while it removes it from the XML sample, it does display it in the JSON sample.

Also, to go to my original question, is there a way to do this using the Obsolete attribute? It’s not only inefficient to have to go add this attribute ~ 50 places, but it’s easy in the future to forget to put both attributes. (And if not, thank you as this will work.)

thanks - dave

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:11 PM