Can not create a database in Southeast Australia RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I can not create a SQL Azure database in southeast Australia.  When I go to create a new sql database server it doesn't give me southeast Australia as an option in location.

Does anyone know why this would be?

cheers

Greg

Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:21 AM

Answers

• Greg- I've seen a few similar posts on MSDN and started investigating:

MSDN subscriptions have restrictions on creating Compute and SQL resources in certain regions. The behavior you noticed was expected due to the subscription type and is not a service degradation. We are working on better communicating such region restriction information to make it clearer. We apologize for any confusion this might have caused.

• Marked as answer by Dan Rediske Friday, January 6, 2017 10:34 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Is this happends today or all the time?

Tariq Younas

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Im able to create one, didnt had any issue. Australia Southeast data center supports SQL PaaS database. Please refer the link below. Can you ensure your subscription has access to create objects in Australia Southeast data center or any other restrictions in your subscriptions?

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/regions/services/

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:44 PM
  • It is happening all the time.  I can create a Web app in Australia southest but not a SQL database
    Friday, November 11, 2016 5:08 AM
  • I was able to create a web site (web app) in Australia Southeast without a problem.  But the SQL databases don't have the Australian data centers in the location drop down .  So I do think there is an issue with my subscription but I have no way of finding out.

Tried to call Azure product team but I can't get through , left a message.  Tried to email ceinsidesales@microsoft.com but that bounces

Friday, November 11, 2016 5:12 AM
  • If you are using an MSDN subscription, I would go to Help + support then log a support request. It could be depending on where your EA is located.
    Friday, November 11, 2016 5:15 AM
  • As Nick suggested raise one request and then follow up with Microsoft.

In the mean time I thought why cant we give a try from powershell (may work)

Before we start make sure you have Azure Powershell installed from the client you are going to run the powershell script https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/mt619274(v=azure.300).aspx.

Once you sorted out the powershell lets identify whether you have access to the location and the resources.

Login-AzureRmAccount
    Get-AzureRmLocation | Where-Object Providers -like "*sql*" | FT Location, DisplayName, Providers

If this returns the region you are looking for then your subscription has access to create \ modify PaaS SQL Servers. If not stop here and followup with Microsoft.

If it returns the Australia south east region then create the server using below powershell query

#Step1
    #If you own a resource group in Australia south east then skip this step
    $resourceGroupName = "MyResourceGroup"
    $resourceGroupLocation = "australiasoutheast"
    New-AzureRmResourceGroup -Name $resourceGroupName -Location $resourceGroupLocation

#Step2 Create SQL Server

$sqlServerName = "MyAustraliaSESQLServer"
    $sqlServerVersion = "12.0"
    $sqlServerLocation = "australiasoutheast"
    $serverAdmin = "azuresqladmin"
    $serverPassword = "C0mpl3xPassw0rd$" 
    $securePassword = ConvertTo-SecureString –String $serverPassword –AsPlainText -Force
    $creds = New-Object –TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential –ArgumentList $serverAdmin, $securePassword

$sqlServer = New-AzureRmSqlServer -ServerName $sqlServerName `
     -SqlAdministratorCredentials $creds -Location $sqlServerLocation `
     -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroupName -ServerVersion $sqlServerVersion

#Step3  Create FirewallRuleName
    # this will enable allow azure services so leave this section as it is
    $firewallRuleName = "firewallrule1"
    $firewallStartIp = "0.0.0.0"
    $firewallEndIp = "255.255.255.255"

New-AzureRmSqlServerFirewallRule -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroupName `
     -ServerName $sqlServerName -FirewallRuleName $firewallRuleName `
     -StartIpAddress $firewallStartIp -EndIpAddress $firewallEndIp

#Step4  Create database

$databaseName = "MyFirstAUSdb"
    $databaseEdition = "Standard"
    $databaseServiceLevel = "S0"

$currentDatabase = New-AzureRmSqlDatabase -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroupName `
     -ServerName $sqlServerName -DatabaseName $databaseName `
     -Edition $databaseEdition -RequestedServiceObjectiveName $databaseServiceLevel

Run step by step so that incase if it failed you can troubleshoot from there

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

Monday, November 14, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Greg- I've seen a few similar posts on MSDN and started investigating:

MSDN subscriptions have restrictions on creating Compute and SQL resources in certain regions. The behavior you noticed was expected due to the subscription type and is not a service degradation. We are working on better communicating such region restriction information to make it clearer. We apologize for any confusion this might have caused.

• Marked as answer by Dan Rediske Friday, January 6, 2017 10:34 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 6:35 PM