none
How to assign a search indexer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running WSS 3.0 and I don't recall assigning a search indexer. When I perform a search, I get the following message
     "Your search cannot be completed because this site is not assigned to an indexer"

How do I go about assigning a search indexer?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• (From memory)

Go in Central Administration and there in the left hand column there is either a link leading to a page with the Content Database option or a direct link to it.

When you find it access the option that is either "Content Database" (or a similar text) and then about halfway down the page you will find a field in which you need to specify the server used for search.

In the early versions of WSS 3.0 this was not specified by default if you had a single server installation even though it was obvious that it was the same server and you weren't asked.

In later versions (but I may be confusing this with a later product) this info was - as far as I can remember - added for single server versions on install.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:54 AM
  • The problem is you have not specified which server should do the searching. So no matter what you have setup, it will still not work.

You can choose the search server like this:

Go to “SharePoint Central Administration”.

Choose “Application Management” tab.

Go to “Content Databases” under “Sharepoint Web Application Management”.

Ensure your web application is selected.

Click on the content database.

Under “Search Server”, select the server you wish to do the searching in the dropdownlist

Note: Search Server drop down will not populate until unless Windows SharePoint Services Search Service is Started

To do so Go to SharePoint Central Administration

Choose Operations Tab

Click on Services On Server

Click on Start against the Windows SharePoint Services Search Service using appropriate account.

Tech Support
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Great instructions, but the "Services on this server" link is not available in the Operations tab. Any ideas?

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Thank you. That seemed to have worked for me. However, I get the following after performing a search "No results matching your search were found." Maybe it needs some time to index the site.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:11 PM